PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
This is an exciting time to join the school as we expand our provision with the ambitious ‘Crosfields to 16’ project. Crosfields School is looking to employ an additional nurse to assist in providing a clinically effective, high quality service of nursing care to pupils and first aid care to all members of the school community. Reporting to the Senior Nurse the postholder will primarily work with the Early Years and Junior School pupils, although there will be occasions when the postholder will be required to work within the Senior School.
Situated in over forty acres, Crosfields School is a day school and educates boys and girls between the ages of 3 and 13. We will be expanding through to age 16 over the next few years with our first Year 9 intake scheduled for September 2021. An exceptionally friendly school Crosfields emphasises manners, kindness and good behaviour. Working at Crosfields offers the opportunity to be part of a vibrant and welcoming community, committed to academic excellence and the highest standards of pastoral care for its pupils.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide first aid and emergency care to all members of the school community as necessary.
- Assess, manage and care for pupils who are injured or become ill during the school day. Maintain contemporaneous records, notify parents/carers and arrange for the pupil to go home if necessary.
- Be available to parents and pupils at the beginning and end of the school day to discuss medications, conditions or incidents.
- Ensure new pupil’s medical details are submitted prior to them joining Crosfields School and that any medical needs are identified and documented securely on iSAMS. Any relevant information on specific medical conditions and allergies are distributed to staff and the catering team at the start of the school year and are updated as circumstances change.
- Ensure individual care plans and treatment protocols are developed and written for those pupils requiring them in consultation with the pupils themselves, parents, teachers and other medical providers.
- Provide training and support to relevant staff with regard to the care of pupils with identified medical or health needs.
- Monitor and care for pupils with chronic health problems such as asthma and diabetes.
- Arrange health checks or Audiology checks for pupils when requested.
- Administer medicines whether prescribed or homely remedies in accordance with NMC guidance ‘Standards for Medicines Management’. Record dispensing of drugs.
- Maintain medical records accurately, confidentially and safely using iSAMS as your primary source.
- Ensure the smooth and efficient running of the Junior School Medical Room ensuring processes are in place that can be followed by any member of staff trained in first aid.
- Maintain Junior School Medical Room stock, ensure room is kept tidy and maintain hygiene measures.
- Follow procedures for the safe disposal of clinical waste.
- Maintain stock in all school first aid kits and check regularly. Ensure emergency equipment is in full working order and check weekly.
- Prepare first aid kits, medicines and care plans for pupils going on day trips, sports matches and residential trips. Collate reports on return from trips and update medical records.
- Ensure accurate reporting of accidents and maintain the School’s Accident Log for staff, pupils, contractors and visitors.
- Operate procedures for infection control.
- Have an involvement and awareness of Health and Safety issues within the school affecting staff, pupils or the environment.
- Keep up to date with the current health promotion initiatives.
- Promote health education and support the delivery of PSHCE as required.
- Be a member of the Pastoral Team and work closely with other members to ensure continuous care. Provide updates on pupils of concern as required.
- Be vigilant to any safeguarding concerns and report to the relevant Pastoral Lead.
- Work closely with the Senior Nurse maintaining good communication at all times.
- Be prepared to work with all pupils in any year group attending Crosfields School as required.
- Deputise for the Senior Nurse in her absence.
- At all times work in accordance with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct, policies set by other UK Health Care Regulatory Bodies and guidelines of the Royal College of Nursing. Adhere to the UK Government code Keeping Children Safe in Education.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties. The School reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this position
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- RGN and/or RSCN
- Current registration with NMC
- Familiar with NMC Code of Professional Conduct
- Previous experience in a school desirable, relevant experience in A&E, Practice Nursing or child health an advantage.
- Evidence of CPD
- Friendly, approachable and supportive demeanour, sense of humour
- Confident with working independently and without supervision
- Enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good organisational skills
- Has a flexible adaptable approach as may be required to work elsewhere within the school.
- Calm and reassuring when dealing with a range of accidents and first aid issues
- Previous knowledge or experience of working with children with complex medical needs such as diabetes, anaphylaxis and asthma
Monday to Friday, 08.30 to 16.30, Term time + (38 weeks)
Band 5 Pro-rata (Full time Equivalent £28 - £30k per annum)
- Pension – Contributory Pension Scheme, Crosfields would pay a sum equivalent to 10% of the basic salary into the School’s pension scheme subject to a personal contribution of at least 4%
- Life Assurance – is provided at 2 x annual salary
- Meals provided whilst on duty
This advert will remain open until the suitable candidate or candidates have been appointed
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the post please do not hesitate to contact Sue Nicholas, School Nurse, who would be happy to answer any queries by email on: email@example.com or via the School office on: 0118 987 1810.
To apply: Please submit a completed application form to the HR Manager by email on: firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are interested in applying for a job share please make this clear on your application form and state what hours you would be interested in applying for.
PRE EMPLOYMENT CHECKS:
Crosfields School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and all applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Primary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 13 years
Crosfields School is an independent day preparatory school for three- to thirteen-year-olds. Located near Reading, Berkshire, it accommodates approximately 511 boys and girls.
Crosfields School was founded in 1957 and is now run as a charitable...