Position: School Officer - Administration and Library Services
Salary Range: $29.08 - $30.31 per hour pending experience
Commencing Date: Immediate Start
Classification: Term Time, 12 Month Contract
Hours: 14 hours a week
Closing Date: Friday, 22nd January 2021 unless filled prior
St Mary's Catholic School, Bowen is a co-educational primary school located in Bowen. St Mary’s is proudly the first Catholic school established in the Townsville Diocese and has 172 students from Prep to Year 6. Established by The Sisters of St Joseph in 1872, the parents of St Mary’s Catholic Parish have banded together with the help of religious orders and the wider Church to educate children with Jesus as the role model and Gospel values at its heart. St Mary's School has a proud ongoing tradition of academic excellence and serving the Bowen community, with small class sizes to enhance students’ learning opportunities
Townsville Catholic Education provides a supportive, flexible working environment where care for the individual is an important part of our ethos. We employ motivated people who want to work together to produce excellent outcomes for our students. Our staff is recognised as being central to achieving our mission.
St Mary's Catholic School, Bowen is seeking applications for the dual position of School Officer - Administration and Library Services. As the name suggests - this position is split between two roles within the school, 8 hours a week will be in the role of School Officer, - Administration and 6 hours a week will be in the role of School Officer - Library Services. This role is for an immediate start - and this advertisement will be closed as soon as a suitable applicant is found.
About the Role
In the role of School Officer - Administration, the successful candidate will work in collaboration with the other Administration staff to support the effective coordination of the school office. As an initial point of contact, it is integral, the School Officer - Administration presents a professional image and creates a welcoming, warm and positive impression whether via phone, email or in person. The School Officer – Administration will be required to undertake a broad range of administrative tasks to support the school community and will offer diversity within the scope of work being undertaken.
When in the role of School Officer - Library Services, the successful candidate will assist with the smooth day to day running of the library with a broad range of associated roles and tasks within a variety of contexts. The School Officer – Information Services and Resources will be required to apply some judgement and discretion with the application of equipment, work organisation, service provision and actions to achieve outcomes within time constraints. The School Officer – Library Services will be required to undertake a broad range of administrative tasks to support the school community and will offer challenging and diversity with scope of work being undertaken. You will be required to supervise students during lunch breaks.
School Officer - Administration:
- Support the delivery of tasks associated with community participation and school functions
- Provide administration support that meets the day to day requirements of the school
- Support the delivery of operational tasks associated with reception and administration
- Provide support in parent/student reception and the Uniform Shop when required.
- Assist with financial and banking duties as requested.
- Any other duties as reasonable requested to support the functionality of the school.
- Support collegiate learning and development by embracing new ideas and sharing experience and learning
School Officer - Library Services:
- Assist students with loan and reference enquiries within an information service environment
- Assist with internet and online database searches to support research
- Maintain and update library resources, records and systems, including data management
- Maintain, operate and trouble shoot issues with equipment including IT and AV equipment
- Undertake copy cataloguing and classification
- Maintain circulation systems
- Copy catalogue books, magazines, journals and recorded material
- Assist with stocktaking of resources
- Administrative tasks to support the functioning of the library – barcoding, stamping, spine labelling and covering
- Promote the library services and resources to all staff and students
- Administrative tasks as required to support the functionality of the school.
- Previous experience providing generalist administrative support
- Demonstrated capacity to organise and prioritise a range of tasks and set priorities to meet deadlines in a busy environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proven ability in providing accurate and informative assistance to staff, students and parents confidently.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing circumstances and embrace and contribute to new approaches
- An appreciation of the changing role of the Library in the education sector and the capacity to adapt accordingly
- Experience in a school/educational setting interacting with students and staff.
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and embrace new ideas
- Highly developed computer literacy with the ability to operate a variety of platforms
- Organisational planning and coordination skills including the ability to manage demanding or competing deadlines
- The ability to proactively seek opportunities to extend ones professional scope of practice and learning.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and sustain productive working relationships
- Established oral communication skills, especially in relation to staff, students and parents
- Developed written, verbal, visual and non-verbal communication skills to ensure positive engagement with staff, students and parents
- Ability to assist library users with reading, research and information needs
- Ability to manage time and set priorities to meet deadlines
- Ability to demonstrate proactive and responsive decision making.
- Enthusiastic and energetic with a proactive attitude
- Confident, well-presented and engaging with a personal warmth that engenders mutual respect with staff, parents and visitors
- Flexible and responsive to the needs of the school community and driven to achieve the best outcomes
- Willingness to use and train in technology and library trends
- Willingness to learn and develop in a supported environment
- Motivated with a “can do’ attitude.
- Current Working with Children Suitability Card - The successful candidate will require a paid Blue Card before commencement as per the No Card, No Start policy developed by the Queensland Government.
- Recent Administration and/reception experience in the education sector
- Relevant Qualifications
What we offer
- Competitive Salary starting: $29.08 - $30.31 per hour pending experience
- Annual Leave with 17.5% leave loading
- Salary packaging options
- Modern facilities, equipment and resources
- Superannuation up to 12.75% employer contribution (in a co-contribution arrangement)
- Access to long service leave after 7 years of continuous service
- 14 Weeks’ paid parental leave
- Deferred Salary Scheme
- Corporate health insurance
- Induction, professional development and learning opportunities
- Well-being programs and initiatives
How to apply
- Complete the application form
- Upload a cover letter addressing the skills, attributes and experience to support the key accountabilities of the role identified in the position description
- Upload a current resume including contact details (phone and email of two professional referees
Please see the School Officer - Administration Position Description and the School Officer - Library Services Position Description for more information.
Applications during the shortlisting phase will be kept confidential.
Applications close 4pm Friday, 22nd January 2021 unless filled prior.
Diocese of Townsville Catholic Education