We are seeking to appoint a Science Technician to join our innovative team from September 2021.
Science is an exceptionally successful and high performing department at all key stages. This could be a fantastic opportunity for a science graduate interested in gaining school experience or laboratory skills.
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace is a mixed Academy for 1,300 students aged 11-18, with a large sixth form of over 350 students. The Academy has three consecutive Outstanding judgments by Ofsted, with the most recent inspection in 2014 finding the Academy to be Outstanding in every aspect. We are a consistently high performing school; in 2019, our progress 8 score was 0.61, 94% of our students achieved a 4+ in English and 86% in maths. Our motto, ‘All Can Achieve’ encapsulates our vision that all members of the Academy community are supported and encouraged to achieve their absolute potential.
We have recently been designated as a ‘Teaching School Hub’ and we are able to offer all teachers an extensive programme of first class professional development. Harris City Academy Crystal Palace is part of the Harris Federation and this enables us to offer you a comprehensive induction programme and training and development opportunities to support your career development including Masters and other qualifications.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To assist teacher in the preparation of lesson materials and daily check of room consumables.
- To maintain high levels of cleanliness and tidiness of stock cupboards in Science.
- To be responsible for the ordering of stock.
- To maintain stocktake of Science department inclusive of: annual checks, requisitions and receipts of supplies, local purchase of required items.
- Organisation, storage and record keeping of equipment and chemicals.
- Implementation of health and safety regulations.
- Regular safety checks of all science based equipment
- Preparation of bulk solution of stock.
- Care and maintenance of labs, equipment, animals and plants.
- Organise the construction, preparation, repair, cleaning, transport and collection of equipment.
- Understanding of Science syllabus and schemes of work.
- Assistance with training schemes as required.
- Under the direction of the Subject Leaders, such other tasks that may be required to further the efficient running of the Academy, commensurate with the level of the post holder.
- To implement Health and Safety regulations.
- To assist in the development of appropriate resources.
- To contribute to the subject area’s Improvement Plan and its implementation.
- To attend all appropriate meetings.
- To contribute to the whole Academy’s planning activities
Qualifications & Experience
- Educated to A level or equivalent (A level in either Physics, Chemistry or biology) NVQ 3 or BTEC
- Other training in relation to Science
- Trained in the use of a variety of ICT packages
- Basic knowledge of Health and Safety Regulations
- A good understanding of a range of chemicals and their properties
- Experience of working in an inner-city school or educational establishment
- Ideally, at least two years' experience working as a technician in a school or educational establishment
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace opened as Harris CTC in 1990 and converted to an academy in September 2007. The academy is a mixed school for 1,300 students aged 11-18 recruiting students from Croydon, Bromley, Lewisham, Southwark and Lambeth. The...