We are looking for a Science Technician to join our outstanding academy.
The Science Department is a forward and progressive thinking one. We have a well-organized system for the requisition of practicals by teachers and two separate prep rooms for setting up practicals. All seven labs are well resourced with modern apparatus to ensure that results from practical’s are valid and in synchronization with reproduceable data. There is a lift in the building for the transportation of chemicals and apparatus into the various labs. It is fantastic in training students to relate what they learn in lessons to real life situations in their communities and beyond. This is observable in seeing and hearing the passion in their eyes and voices in lessons and during practical’s due to the atmosphere of excitement and activity from the team, who are very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. There is a strong team spirit and colleagues support each other to give off their optimum best. In joining us you will be playing a vital role in the provision of high-quality science practicals as well as looking after laboratory equipment to ensure that pupils continue to achieve their full potential.
Main Areas of Responsibility
To provide technical support to the Science Department of the academy in order to support the teaching of science, enabling the smooth running of practical classes and maintaining a safe working environment.
Main Areas of Responsibility:
- To assist and advise teaching staff on the preparation and layout in classrooms for practical exercises, running trials of experiments, demonstrations and helping students with learning activities as appropriate.
- To ensure equipment and materials prepared for lessons are to the specification of the teacher requisitions, including making up special equipment or modifying from existing equipment as necessary from instructions supplied by the science teaching staff.
- In conjunction with the appropriate teachers to advise students on the safe and proper use of tools and equipment and on the correct and safe way to carry out learning activities. To also advise staff, as necessary, on Health and Safety issues and on the best way to carry out practical work, new ways of demonstrating experiments, new techniques or procedures available.
- To assist in the safety, repair and general maintenance of all resources, equipment and tools in conjunction with the appropriate line managers. To advise on any maintenance or inspection needed by the equipment which is beyond postholder’s competence.
- Ensure understanding of science syllabus and schemes of work in order to prepare for practical lessons adequately.
- To assist with stock keeping, using the computerised stock take database to include chemicals, equipment, textbooks, stationary, etc and ensuring that appropriate levels of stock are maintained carrying out regular stocktaking checks and ordering as necessary.
- To undertake safety checks as required and comply with the requirements of Health & Safety, COSHH and other relevant legislation and school documentation. This to include carrying out appropriate risk assessments for practical and technical activities.
- Ensure implementation of Health & Safety regulations across the subject area.
- To assist in ensuring that all equipment and materials are stored safely and securely, ensuring that they are maintained in good condition, with clear records, and readily available for issue.
- To dispose of used chemicals/hazardous waste in a safe manner as well as ensuring that hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained in the laboratory and preparation areas.
- To undertake basic maintenance and cleaning of equipment and to organise its construction, cleaning, servicing and repair as required in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep up to date with health and safety regulations and with developments in practical science, attending relevant courses and reading publications.
- To work in close association with other technical staff to assist in keeping areas neat, clean, tidy and in a safe condition for lessons, as well as cleaning and making safe spills, breakages and related incidents that require careful handling.
Qualifications & Experience
- Educated to A Level or equivalent (A Level in either physics, chemistry or biology)
- COSHH training as appropriate
- Basic knowledge of Health & Safety regulations
- Good understanding of a range of chemicals and their properties
- Experience or solid understanding of working as a technician in a school or education establishment, undertaking a range of practical tasks
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris Girls' Academy East Dulwich
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Girls school with students of age 11 - 18 years
Harris Girls' Academy East Dulwich is an 11-18 school for 1000 girls which opened as an Academy in September 2006. The Academy benefits from a recent £20million investment in new facilities and equipment.
Harris Girls’ Academy is in the ...