Harris Academy Battersea is seeking to appoint a inspirational and passionate experienced qualified Teacher as SENCO.
Passionate about making a difference? As SENCO, you will have the opportunity to work with the SLT to ensure an ethos of inclusion and high aspirations for students with SEND.
The purposes of the SENCO role include:
- To ensure that Academy practice is compliant with the SEND Code of Practice (2014) and other relevant statutory requirements
- To work with the SLT ensuring the implementation of our SEND Policy
- To ensure that the provision of SEND support is in accordance with our aims and policies
- To maintain the Academy’s SEND profile, ensuring that it is always up-to-date and accurate
- To be responsible for the accurate identification of SEND need across the Academy, ensuring a rigorous and thorough assessment process
- To be responsible for our SEND offer, ensuring high quality targeted interventions enabling students with SEND to make better progress
- In consultation with the SLT, to provide an effective programme of professional development with regard to SEND
- To be responsible for tracking the progress of students with SEND
- To deploy staff and resources according to the needs of SEND students.
- To write a termly report to the Governing body on progress and developments.
We can offer you the opportunity to advance your career within a supportive academy environment. You will be part of a Federation established in developing practitioners and nurturing excellent future leaders, with unrivalled opportunities for progression; whatever your aspirations as a teacher, middle or senior leader, our Teaching School Alliance provides a range of bespoke courses and qualifications, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQML and NPQSL programmes to help you achieve your ambitions more quickly.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. The successful candidate will have:
- QTS (or equivalent) and an undergraduate degree
- Evidence of CPD relevant to the SENCO role (or willingness to undertake this training) and, ideally, SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate or equivalent qualification
- SEN experience in a secondary school
- The vision to develop the SENCO role within a high achieving Academy
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
Why work at Harris Academy Battersea?
In 2017, the school was named the 'Evening Standard School of the Year' and has been ranked as the 4th school in the country for two years running. With a Progress 8 score of +1.49, students achieve nearly one-and-a-half grades higher than they would in an average school and such progress, alongside the best A-level results in Wandsworth, reflects the exceptional dedication with which everyone in the academy applies themselves.
The staff body is an incredible group of people. They are dynamic, thoughtful and innovative practitioners who do everything that they can to help our children succeed and we are looking for someone similar to join us. We recognise that teaching is a demanding career and it is our aim to make sure that staff who have chosen to are as well supported as they can be. We have a zero tolerance approach to anything that interrupts the learning in a classroom and our central team deals with will all behaviour issues, non-completion of homework, phone-calls and detentions to make sure that teachers are as free as possible to do the three things that matter most: mark, plan and teach.
Any position in education is inevitably laden with values and ideals and we are a school built on a shared ownership of these. We wish to give our students the very best start that we can in life and, through hard work and determination, we hope that our values and ideals take shape as something recognisable in the futures that we help build.
Harris Academy Battersea is modern and innovative, but with old-fashioned values. Its aim is to shape the lives of students by providing them with the best possible academic outcomes from outstanding courses and – crucially – the experiences and guidance that will help them become resilient, resourceful, reflective and respectful, emotionally intelligent global citizens.
Please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your online application.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn without notice. Applications will only be considered if submitted online and before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Our Benefits Package
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package.
Being a part of the Harris Federation
We are recognised as the top performing large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission of Harris. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Our people are at the heart of this success. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of training programmes available at every stage of your career.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.
Diversity and Equality
We are committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.
Harris Academy Battersea
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Harris Academy Battersea is modern and innovative, but with old-fashioned values. Its aim is to shape the lives of students by providing them with the best possible academic outcomes from outstanding courses and – crucially – the exper...