Job Title: Specialist Teaching Assistant (TA) for Specific Learning Difficulty (Dyslexia)
Academy: Leeds West Academy
Grade: C1 .22 - .25 £21,074 - £23,111 pro rata
Hours/weeks: 34.10 hours per week, term time only plus 5 days (39 weeks per year)
Accountable to: SENDCo
To identify, refer and support students with a Specific Learning Difficulty.
Purpose of job:
Helping to ensure that all students with a Specific Learning Difficulty within the school make at least good progress.
You may be deployed in other White Rose Academies Trust locations within a reasonable distance from your main place of work from time to time; you will be compensated for your additional travel costs.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- To work with the SENDCo and external agencies to assess the needs of SPLD students;
- To provide 1 to 1 and/or small group intervention for SPLD students as required;
- To pay particular attention to the development of the students’ literacy and numeracy skills;
- To help to develop resources, including resources on the Virtual Learning Area, which support the progress of SEN students;
- To provide advice and strategies to staff through CPD;
- To offer advice to teaching staff to help them teach students with SPLD effectively;
- To assess students using an internal SPLD assessment tool;
- To use effective methods to track the progress of relevant students, and work with the SENDCo to ensure that effective intervention is put in place when students are underachieving;
- To attend relevant training in SPLD as and when required;
- To encourage student participation in activities led by the teacher and interaction with others;
- To establish good relationships with students, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs;
- To promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students;
- To encourage students to act independently as appropriate;
- To be aware of student problems/progress/achievements and report to the relevant member of staff;
- To gather/report information from/to parents/carers as directed;
- To provide clerical/administrative support - photocopying, typing, filing, collecting money etc.;
- To support students in using basic ICT as directed;
- To be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person;
The duties and responsibilities of any post may change from time to time, and post holders may be expected to carry out other work not explicitly mentioned above which is considered to be appropriate to the existing level of responsibility vested in the post in supporting named pupils.
The White Rose Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expect all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to Safer Recruitment Procedures and an enhanced DBS check.
Leeds West Academy is an over-subscribed 11-18 school. Thriving in a state of the art building with stunning views over the River Aire, our Academy is committed to delivering an outstanding education to each and every one of our students. We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society. Our vision at Leeds West Academy is clear: we will be Ofsted rated as outstanding within three years.
The White Rose Academies Trust is a local trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The Trust employs over 300 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation. Working in partnership with Gorse Academies Trust, we are on a significant journey which will see all of our schools Ofsted rated as outstanding within three years.
We are sponsored by Leeds City College, who provides expertise, international networks and highly desirable employability prospects within education and beyond.
Closing date: Sunday 19th August 2018
Shortlisting: w/c Monday 20th August 2018
Interviews: To be confirmed (during w/c 20/08/18 or w/c 27/08/18 - excluding the bank holiday Monday)
Start date: Monday 3rd September 2018 or as soon as possible after this date
To apply visit http://www.leedswestacademy.org.uk/About-Us/Vacancies/ in order to download an application form. Once completed please email to email@example.com