Subject Leader of Religious Studies
DATES: Apply by midday on Wednesday 27th January 2021
TITLE: Subject Leader of Religious Studies
SALARY: M1 – UPS3 plus TLR
LOCATION: Nishkam High School – Birmingham
REPORTING TO: Faculty Leader Humanities
TO COMMENCE: Summer Term 2021or September 2021(please indicate when you would be able to start in role)
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time - Permanent
Nishkam High School, Birmingham
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to join an outstanding school adopting a ‘faith inspired, virtues led’ approach to education with outstanding results and outcomes for children.
The post will support the Faculty Leader to ensure:
• high standards of learning and teaching
• a quality curriculum
• excellent preparation, implementation of GCSE and A Level content (where appropriate) and assessment, ensuring all pupils make better than expected progress
For a detailed review of student outcomes please see advert attached.
This subject is, of course, central to our identity as a multi faith school. It provides the opportunity to teach Religious Studies across Key Stages 3 – 5. Religious Studies is part of the Humanities faculty and you will liaise with other members of the faculty to plan lessons and schemes of learning, to assess and monitor pupil progress and also to ensure that appropriate interventions are implemented as required.
You will be joining a vibrant faculty that is characterised by excellence, passion for their subject and the support of students and each other. There will be a tailored support programme in place for the successful candidate.
Ideally you will be:
• a graduate with QTS or on the way to achieving QTS
• an innovative and dedicated classroom practitioner with a record in raising standards and driving progress or the ability to accomplish that over time
• able to inspire pupils to go beyond their expectations with a real passion for your subject
• a creative and inventive professional, committed to being a positive role model for children
• enthusiastic about contributing to the wider life of the school
• keen to play a key role in the interventions and support given to students who require help
We will offer you
• two hours of tailored CPD per week
• bright, enthusiastic pupils who are eager to learn and are proud of their school community
• a school rated ‘outstanding’ in all areas in both its OFSTED Section 5 inspection and its faith Section 48 inspection
• a professional, hardworking and supportive team of staff
• an inspirational work environment
• modern, well-resourced working environment with excellent ICT facilities
• a staff development programme designed to further knowledge and skills
• a mentor (if you are an NQT) to support you through your probationary period
• opportunities for involvement in the wider pastoral and extra -curricular life of the school
• pathways to advance your career
Nishkam High School opened in September 2012. The video footage on YouTube showing the ‘Building of Nishkam High School’ is an essential starting point for any interested candidate. The ‘new’ DfE built school opened in April 2014 and a visit to our truly inspirational building is highly recommended. Please contact the school on: 0121 348 7660 and we will be happy to make arrangements for you to have a socially distanced look around.
OFSTED visited one day after the new school was opened. Read the details of their judgements at:
The Trust You will be working with a pioneering group, Nishkam School Trust, which is a flagship DfE Free School Trust, and the first multi-faith academy trust in the UK. At the core of Nishkam education is the triple pursuit of nurturing a strong values-led approach to life, academic excellence and creating a community that supports children throughout their lives
• You need to complete an application form, which you can download from our website https://www.nishkamschooltrust.org/page/?title=Vacancies&pid=86 or contact the school office on 0121 348 7660.
• Applications to be sent to email@example.com by midday on Wednesday 27th January 2021.
• Successful applicants will be contacted by Tuesday 2nd February 2021.
• Interviews will be held either virtually or in person on Wednesday 10th February 2021.
This is a key role within the school but the successful candidate will also be expected to work closely with the Trust Directors and contribute to driving the standards agenda forward in all Nishkam schools. A flexible, innovative and energetic approach is, therefore, an essential requirement, as is a commitment to being a team player.
Nishkam School Trust (NST) are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. Any successful applicant will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check.
Nishkam High School
- Mainstream school with state - free school funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 19 years
Nishkam High School is a mixed, comprehensive, Sikh secondary school with sixth form and partnering nursery and primary schools, situated in north-west Birmingham. It is supported by The Nishkam School Trust, which also operates schools in West Londo...