Surbiton High School seeks an enthusiastic and outstanding Teacher of Art and Photography, who is passionate about inspiring, encouraging and empowering our pupils to achieve their very best in the subject of Art and Photography.
Surbiton High School is a friendly and vibrant community where people matter, results count and where a passion for excellence drives everything we do. Our inspirational staff are dedicated to creating an intellectually rigorous and challenging academic environment, making Surbiton High School a place where a passion and energy abound, a school with a real heart and soul, where we look beyond the A* to offer a breadth of opportunity which allows every pupil and staff member to flourish.
Reporting line: Director of Art
Tenure: Maternity Cover, Full-Time
- To possess and maintain a deep and secure knowledge of your subject and the best practice pedagogy associated with its delivery
- To create a challenging and stimulating classroom climate that will motivate pupils to learn, think independently, take risks, empathise with others, and perform to the best of their abilities
- To support every pupil in their learning, making them feel included, secure and valued
- To be aware of the learning needs of the pupils you teach and ensure that each pupil is given every opportunity to fulfil their potential
- To monitor progress against prior attainment and employ effective intervention strategies when required
- To follow the guidance and schemes of work provided by the Head of Department.
- To undertake high quality preparation, marking and report writing, in line with School policy, so that pupils achieve the highest possible standards
- To conduct yourself in an appropriate professional manner at all times, supporting and fostering the aims and safeguarding policies of the School
- To be prepared to take on the role of Form Tutor, which will encompass academic, pastoral and administrative responsibilities. Tutors have oversight of their tutees’ general well-being and academic progress, and they are the first point of contact for parents
- To contribute to the organisation and running of co-curricular and enrichment activities.
- To uphold the School’s code of conduct and the values of Surbiton High School
- To maintain good order and discipline amongst pupils and be active in implementing the School’s policies for rewards and sanctions
- To attend formal parents’ evenings and maintain effective communication with parents, as appropriate
- To attend staff and departmental meetings, as required
- To undertake supervisory duties, as required
- To mark entrance papers and occasional vacancy entrance exams, as required
- To contribute, as appropriate, to departmental policies, schemes of work, digital learning resources as well as development planning
- To be an active participant in CPD training opportunities, sharing best practice with colleagues, as requested
- To participate in the annual performance review, appraisal and development programme
- To be able to teach both Art and photography to GCSE and A-level standard
- To carry out any such duties as may be reasonably requested.
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Good Honours degree
- A postgraduate teaching qualification including QTS, would be an advantage
- Evidence of further relevant professional development
- Ability to deliver inspiring lessons at KS3, GCSE and A-level
- Ability teach both Art and Photography to A-level is essential
- The ability to inspire, motivate and support pupils and colleagues in a successful and dynamic school
- Excellent organisational, administrative and ICT skills
- Experience of teaching photography
- A proven track record of delivering on academic performance
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and an ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- A team player with leadership qualities
- Organised, energetic and able to self-direct
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life
- Ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- Committed to Surbiton High School’s ethos and strategic vision
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
- Ambitious and aspirational for oneself and for the school
- Committed to professional development and show a willingness to undertake appropriate training for this role
Please apply online by clicking on the following:
Closing date for Applications: 8:00am. Tuesday 24 September 2019
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.