This is an exciting time for SCIE as we are looking for new teachers due to expansion. The college will be moving to its brand new campus in August 2020 and will go through a phased expansion from its current 950 to 2000 students over the following 3 years requiring an expansion in teaching staff in many subject areas. The new campus is also within the central Futian district of Shenzhen with easy links to the fast train to Hong Kong.
Shenzhen College of International Education:
SCIE is an independent IGCSE and A Level college (high school), founded in 2003 with the intention of sending the best Chinese students to top universities in the UK and USA by providing a full international education through the medium of English. The college is highly selective, accepting on average only 10% of applicants; as a result, the student body is exceptionally gifted and well-motivated. SCIE has had a great deal of success since its foundation with a large number of students being accepted by Oxford and Cambridge Universities; 27 and 23 students respectively taking up Oxbridge places in 2018 and 2019. The college is a fully accredited member of the Council of International Schools (CIS) and a member school of the regional organisations, EARCOS and FOBISIA.
At our new campus, Art will slowly expand from its current 2 full time teachers and 1 technician to 4 or 5 teachers by 2023. Teachers will have a variety of classes from IGCSE (Fine) Art in UK Years 10 and 11 and AS/AL (Fine) Art in UK Years 12 and 13, depending on skills and experience. The subject is highly successful with two thirds of students achieving A/A* at IGCSE and typically around three quarters at A Level with the top students regularly achieving the highest marks in Country or in the World. Each year a number of students choose to apply to Art, Architecture and Design courses in top universities in the UK and US.
We are looking for a strong art teacher with experience of A Level to join the team in this exciting period of development and expansion. Experience of teaching art at the highest levels, with particular focus on facilitating students to achieve their best will be an advantage. We will also consider applicants with skills in other areas of Art beyond Fine Art to enable us to further develop our Arts programme.
The regular working week is Monday – Friday, 08:00 – 16:30 (early finish at 15:00 on Fridays) and the normal student contact time is 24 x 40 minute periods per week (55% contact time), in addition to class preparation. Teachers also have 6 periods of personal time fixed into their timetables when they do not need to be at work. Teaching staff at SCIE are also expected to offer one hour after school of extra-curricular activity each week. Our school year is August to mid-June with all Chinese holidays (including 1 wk for October National Day and 3 wks for Chinese New Year) plus 2 weeks Christmas holiday.
Qualification Requirements for Teachers:
• A degree in your area of expertise
• A teaching qualification (PGCE, BEd or equivalent)
• 2 years teaching experience in the relevant area
We encourage our teachers to be fully immersed in the culture of the college. All teachers can:
• Facilitate high quality teaching and learning.
• Assess to provide feedback and create suitable development opportunities.
• Contribute to the department.
• Take on professional development opportunities.
• Attend to all pastoral responsibilities.
• Run extra curricular activities.
• Be responsible for safeguarding and wellbeing.
• Contribute positively to the culture of the college.
• Create opportunities for students to develop an appreciation for the nature of science.
• Create opportunities for students to develop practical skills through experiments and investigation.
• Prioritizes teaching and learning that challenges high achieving students.
• Is a team-player.
• Is motivated to acquire new skills and develop as a teacher.
• Promotes safeguarding and wellbeing.
• Contributes positively to the college culture.
Application Closing Date:
1st Round - Jan. 10th 2020 / 2nd Round - Feb. 15th 2020
1st Round - Mid-January 2020 / 2nd Round - Mid-February 2020
3rd Round - End-March 2020
1st round in UK or China or Skype Interview
2nd round in China or Skype Interview
3rd round in China or Skype Interview