Teacher of Biology
Temporary Position – Full-time
KST Teaching Staff Pay Scale
Start Date: 1st November 2019
The West London Free School aims to provide all pupils, irrespective of their background, with a Classical Liberal education. We have a distinctive school culture built on a passion for bringing rich, demanding and inspiring knowledge to pupils of all abilities. We treasure the subject knowledge of staff, we value their passion for continuing to grow as subject specialists and we support their subject-specific development. There is a firm and fair approach to behaviour, systematically supported by senior staff: all pupil detentions are centralised and run by senior staff every day. Teachers are therefore able to prioritise the planning and teaching of subject knowledge. School leaders all teach, love their subjects, understand workload pressures and are highly visible around school.
We place a heavy emphasis on the acquisition of core knowledge through the study of traditional subjects. Our pupils in each year group are enthusiastic and making excellent progress in all three Science specialisms.
Key characteristics of the role include:
• To be a model of excellent practice, maintaining a clear focus on the outstanding delivery of Biology.
• To stimulate and encourage pupils to a high standard of interest and work in the subject, ensuring that the needs of the individual are met.
• To assist the Head of Department in the implementation of schemes of work for Key Stage 3 to 5, and to monitor their subsequent effectiveness.
• To monitor the progress of pupils according to the department and school assessment policy and to advise on set changes.
• To show a commitment to enhancing the quality of teaching and learning in the department by taking part in sharing resources, collaborative teaching, mentoring and active participation in continuing professional development.
The successful candidate will:
• demonstrate the ability to teach Biology at Key Stages 3 to 5 to all ability ranges, including SEN pupils, with excellent classroom management skills. Experience and success at teaching A Level Biology would be preferred.
• have a passion for Biology with exceptional subject knowledge and be able to communicate their enjoyment of the subject to pupils, strive to maintain the highest academic standards and promote a genuine passion for the subject and its place in today’s world.
• have excellent team working skills.
• effective and efficient communication skills with both pupils and staff.
• have an understanding and commitment to the ethos of the school.
• have an outstanding track record of teaching Biology and outcomes for pupils at both GCSE and A Level.
• be committed to a rigorous, knowledge-based curriculum.
• offer a commitment to extra-curricular activities.
The West London Free School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Application deadline: Wednesday 16th October 2019. Interviews will take place shortly after the closing date.
If you wish to apply, please complete and return the attached application form with a covering letter to Sarah Noel at firstname.lastname@example.org.