The Principal invites an enthusiastic and well-qualified Teacher of Biology to apply for the Biology Teacher position starting in September 2021. The Alpha Plus Group is one of the largest privately-owned school groups in the UK and it owns 20 highly regarded schools and colleges. All our schools aim to create a world class teaching and learning environment. Alpha Plus Group is the Gold Standard provider of education to children aged between six months and eighteen years of age. We are committed to providing the best education for children in our care and all our schools have high aspirations and expectations for every child.
DLD College is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. DLD College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all learners and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate checks including an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check as well as providing proof of your right to work in the UK.
Main Purpose of the Job
To work with the Science Coordinator in ensuring the highest academic, professional and ethical standards are maintained at all times in their subject area.
Like all colleagues in college, the teacher is responsible for providing a friendly, stimulating and secure environment in which every student has the opportunity to develop academically, socially and personally.
With the guidance of the Head of Department, the Teacher is responsible for the complete and timely delivery of the subject syllabus, using a variety of teaching strategies to engage and challenge all students and meet their needs.
The Teacher is responsible for their Students’ Academic Progress and has to:
• Ensure that students are taught in line with the examination specification.
• Adhere to the departmental scheme of work.
• Keep records of the students’ attendance in lessons.
• Follow the guidelines for:
1. high quality teaching as defined in the handbook
2. setting, marking and assessing work as stated in the staff handbook
3. use of resources; checking of student files; learning support; use of ICT; health and safety procedures
4. classroom management as defined in the department’s classroom management and discipline policy
• Implement any recommendations for improvement in teaching or administration that are made by subject leaders or senior members of staff
• Attend in-service training and classroom observation plus feedback sessions as requested by the Subject Leader or Head of Faculty
• Ensure that coursework deadlines and internal and external exam arrangements are clearly communicated to students
• be vigilant for the appearance of welfare/conduct problems (attendance, punctuality, appearance, mood etc.) of students and inform the relevant Personal Tutor or House Master/Mistress
• set excellent standards of punctuality, speech and manner
• dress in a professional manner
• seek to make the classroom and college environment friendly and stimulating
• issue instructions clearly and without ambiguity
• listen to students and stimulate dialogue. Always seek to encourage students Always seek to encourage students and never humiliate them.
• deal promptly with any aspect of student behaviour that is to the detriment of the development of other students in the group or the college as a whole
• ensure that the classroom is always neat, tidy, safe and a pleasant pla ce to work in, being attentive to the overall security of the college premises.
• Deal promptly with any aspect of student behaviour that is to the detriment of the development of other students in the group or the college as a whole.
• Immediately report to a senior member of staff any sighting of unauthorised persons in the building.
Employees are expected to be courteous to colleagues and provide a welcoming environment to visitors and telephone callers.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description
This job description is current at the date shown, but, in consultation with you, may be changed by the Principal to reflect or anticipate changes in the job commensurate with the grade and job title.
All teaching responsibilities are similar to the generic duties applicable to subject teachers.
Hours of work: 8.30 to 5pm Monday to Friday
DLD College London
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 14 - 19 years