Reporting Line: Head of Chemistry/Physics
To inspire, encourage and empower our students to achieve their very best in the subject
Surbiton High School is part of United Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England. Schools within United Learning work as a team and achieve more by sharing than any single school could. By collecting expertise and combining resources, we help to make the tough job of teaching a little easier. With a shared curriculum and lesson plans from around the group available to all, our teachers have strong foundations to lead the engaging, rounded education our children deserve. Our intranet site, United Hub, is just one example of how we share this resource and communicate across sites, helping to simplify processes and manage workloads for an improved work-life balance. We reward our staff: with wide career opportunities – between Primary and Secondary, Academy and Independent – better pay, benefits, and ultimately the satisfaction of helping every child at each of our schools to succeed and reach their full potential.
- Create a challenging and stimulating classroom climate that will motivate pupils to learn, think independently, take risks, empathise with others, and perform to the best of their abilities
- Undertake high quality preparation, marking and report writing, in line with School policies, so that pupils achieve the highest possible standards
- Be prepared to be form tutor. All staff are required to take on the role of Form Tutor, which will encompass academic, pastoral and administrative responsibilities. The Tutors have oversight of their tutees’ general well-being and academic progress, and they are the main point of contact for parents
- Contribute to the organisation and running of co-curricular and enrichment activities
- Be an active participant in CPD training opportunities, sharing best practice with colleagues, as requested
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Good Honours degree
- A postgraduate teaching qualification including QTS, would be an advantage
- Evidence of further relevant professional development
- Ability to deliver inspiring lessons at KS3, GCSE and A-level
- The ability to inspire, motivate and support pupils and colleagues in a successful and dynamic school
- A proven track record of delivering on academic performance
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and an ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life
- Committed to Surbiton High School’s ethos and strategic vision
Early applications welcome. We will review applications and invite applicants to interview on a rolling basis.
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply online by clicking on the following link:
Closing date: 8:00am, Monday 11 December 2017
Where teaching is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.