Westminster Academy is an Outstanding IB World School serving a multi-ethnic community in Central London. The Academy specialises in International Business and Enterprise, is the partner school of the Royal Society of Medicine, manages the Science Learning Partnership for London North and West as part of the STEM Learning network and is the hub school for London Centre for Languages and Culture. The Academy has gained national recognition for its work to improve outcomes for students, and its aspirational and inclusive vision. As a member of the WA community you will have the opportunity to shape the future of the Academy whilst working alongside an exceptionally talented group of teachers and leaders.
Our Humanities faculty has gone from strength to strength in the last few years, with a dynamic staff team who have succeeded in encouraging a love of learning and impressing high academic standards among the student body.
We are now looking for a driven, innovative and organised Citizenship teacher to join our dedicated Humanities Faculty. Citizenship is a successful subject within an outstanding Faculty and School. Attainment and progress is high in Citizenship, and in the Summer of 2019 progress scores were Outstanding.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic, highly motivated and excellent classroom practitioner who is committed to student success and development. You should have experience of teaching Citizenship, with ideally some experience of Religious Studies. You will be fully supported in this role and we welcome applications from experienced teachers and those at the beginning of their careers.
The Humanities Faculty is proud of our Citizenship provision. Maintaining our outstanding progress, attainment and teaching and learning in Citizenship is important to us. The successful candidate would also develop our Citizenship enrichment programme and applicants should be willing to contribute to extra-curricular activities. The faculty takes advantage of the school’s central London location by planning exciting educational visits to support curriculum learning, stimulate curiosity and enable students to broaden horizons. Strong community and academic links with organisations such as the Paddington Development Trust, Royal Geographical Society, Geographical Association, Naz Legacy Foundation, HET and the Citizenship Foundation allow us to offer students unparalleled opportunities. This year alone students have participated in a Model United Nations conference with a partner private school; interviewed MPs at the Houses of Parliament; visited Auschwitz; given a speech at Parliament on the Rwandan Genocide and attended an Iftar with the Mayor of London.
What we offer:
● An excellent programme of continuing professional development
● Training with the IBO for teachers delivering Key Stage 5
● The chance to shape the future of the subject in collaboration with the leadership team, external education professionals and exam boards
● The opportunity to develop personally and professionally, including mentors for NQTs, structured performance management and opportunities to advance to positions of greater responsibility
● A commitment to staff well being, including access to the local gym, weekly fitness sessions, staff social events and the end of term ‘WA Big Breakfast’
● Perkbox membership, which offers a package of benefits for staff such as retail discounts, savings on gym membership, cinema tickets and free mobile phone insurance
For further details and an application form, please visit: www.westminsteracademy.org.uk
Closing date: 03 April 2020.
We are committed to safeguarding children and promoting their welfare. We expect all staff to share this commitment. The post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.