This is an exciting time for SCIE as we are looking for new teachers due to expansion. The college will be moving to its brand new campus in August 2020 and will go through a phased expansion from its current 950 to 2000 students over the following 3 years requiring an expansion in teaching staff in many subject areas. The new campus is also within the central Futian district of Shenzhen with easy links to the fast train to Hong Kong.
Shenzhen College of International Education:
SCIE is an independent IGCSE and A Level college (high school), founded in 2003 with the intention of sending the best Chinese students to top universities in the UK and USA by providing a full international education through the medium of English. The college is highly selective, accepting on average only 10% of applicants; as a result, the student body is exceptionally gifted and well-motivated. SCIE has had a great deal of success since its foundation with a large number of students being accepted by Oxford and Cambridge Universities; 27 and 23 students respectively taking up Oxbridge places in 2018 and 2019. The college is a fully accredited member of the Council of International Schools (CIS) and a member school of the regional organisations, EARCOS and FOBISIA.
At our new campus, Computer Science will expand to about 8 teachers by 2023. Teachers will have a variety of classes from IGCSE Computer Science in UK Years 10 and 11 and AS/AL Computer Science in UK Years 12 and 13. Computer Science is popular throughout the school and results are high, with about 70% achieving A/A* at IGCSE and nearly two thirds at A Level. The students are enthusiastic about coding and there are several extra-curricular groups with their own computing projects and interests. Each year a number of students choose to apply to Computer Science courses in top universities in the UK and US.
We are looking for strong computer science teachers with experience of A Level and strong coding skills to join the team in this exciting period of development and expansion. Experience of teaching computer science at the highest levels, with particular focus on the ability to facilitate extension classes in computer science will be an advantage.
The regular working week is Monday – Friday, 08:00 – 16:30 (early finish at 15:00 on Fridays) and the normal student contact time is 24 x 40 minute periods per week (55% contact time), in addition to class preparation. Teachers also have 6 periods of personal time fixed into their timetables when they do not need to be at work. Teaching staff at SCIE are also expected to offer one hour after school of extra-curricular activity each week. Our school year is August to mid-June with all Chinese holidays (including 1 wk for October National Day and 3 wks for Chinese New Year) plus 2 weeks Christmas holiday.
Qualification Requirements for Teachers:
• A degree in your area of expertise
• A teaching qualification (PGCE, BEd or equivalent)
• 2 years teaching experience in the relevant area
We encourage our teachers to be fully immersed in the culture of the college. All teachers can:
• Facilitate high quality teaching and learning.
• Assess to provide feedback and create suitable development opportunities.
• Contribute to the department.
• Take on professional development opportunities.
• Attend to all pastoral responsibilities.
• Run extra curricular activities.
• Be responsible for safeguarding and wellbeing.
• Contribute positively to the culture of the college.
• Create opportunities for students to develop an appreciation for the nature of science.
• Create opportunities for students to develop practical skills through experiments and investigation.
• Prioritizes teaching and learning that challenges high achieving students.
• Is a team-player.
• Is motivated to acquire new skills and develop as a teacher.
• Promotes safeguarding and wellbeing.
• Contributes positively to the college culture.
Application Closing Date:
1st Round - Jan. 17th 2020 / 2nd Round - Feb. 15th 2020/3rd Round - March 15th 2020
1st Round - Mid-January 2020 / 2nd Round - Mid-February 2020/ 3rd Round - Mid-March 2020
Candidates who have applied in the first and rounds will be carried forward to the Third round
In China or Skype Interview