Unfortunately, this position is no longer available. We will do our best to contact all remaining applicants as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
The Kumon Leysin Academy of Switzerland (KLAS), a coeducational boarding high school for Japanese students, is seeking an experienced and qualified EAL teacher.
Founded in 1990, KLAS is a coeducational boarding high school for Japanese nationals. It is accredited by, and follows a curriculum approved by, the Japanese Ministry of Education, but particular emphasis is put on the study of English, which forms the backbone of the curriculum.
There are three grades of students (10th, 11th and 12th), and ESL Oral, Grammar, Reading and Writing classes are offered in all three grades. The successful candidate will teach any combination of those classes. Typical class sizes are 10-12 students. As well as teaching those classes, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• reporting to the Head of English
• evaluating students up to 5 times a year, with or without an examination
• writing reports to parents up to five times a year
• following an existing syllabus
Furthermore, standard boarding school responsibilities for all teaching staff at KLAS include, but are not limited to:
• overnight dorm supervision (about once a month)
• supervision of students on restriction (about once a year)
• supervision of school trips
• pastoral care of students in the form of a faculty family "parent"
• supervision of a club, often involving time on a weekend
• supervision of a sports activity, usually once a week after school
An understanding of and appreciation for Japanese culture is certainly advantageous, but the successful candidate is not expected to have any knowledge of the Japanese language.
This is a wonderful opportunity for an internationally-minded person who enjoys teaching and inspiring students, whilst at the same time having interaction with those and different students in various extra-curricular events typical of a boarding school, all in the breathtaking beauty of the Swiss Alps.
The starting date is July 5, 2021 with classes starting a week later. For further details or to send a cover letter and CV, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Kumon Leysin Academy of Switzerland (KLAS)
Route de Versmont 6, 1854 Leysin, Switzerland
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 15 - 18 years