Barnard Castle School is seeking an outstanding individual to be a Teacher of English for our thriving day and boarding school, which has remained at the forefront of girls’ and boys’ education for over 130 years. Whilst the school retains a strong academic record, its focus continues to be on developing life skills and nurturing each individual character. This is something that as a school, we take great care and pride in.
Our English department is one of the largest in the school, with all pupils studying English Language up to GCSE, and with a large cohort sitting the Literature GCSE. It is one of the most popular subjects for our Sixth Form students.
In addition to teaching, the successful candidate is expected to contribute fully to whole school life, with opportunities aplenty to become involved in a wide sphere of activities, from drama to music, from sport to boarding.
Barney is an exciting and hugely rewarding place to be, and I look forward to receiving your application.
In order to meet the high standards expected of a teacher in our School, the Headmaster is seeking to employ a person with the following qualities, experience, skills and abilities.
- A good honours degree;
- Evidence of either being or having the potential to be an excellent teacher;
- The ability to teach to Sixth Form;
- The ability to inspire and motivate children;
- Clear and effective communication skills;
- An ability and willingness to make a significant contribution to the extra-curricular life of the School;
- An ability to relate well to colleagues and children;
- Approachability, accessibility and flexibility;
- High levels of organisation;
- A higher degree or experience of educational or subject-specific research ;
- A record of and commitment to continuing professional development;
- The possession of QTS;
- An ability and willingness to contribute to the coaching of games or CCF training;
- Experience of pastoral work such as a House or Year tutor;
- Experience of external examination or school inspection;
- Experience of working in a boarding school;
- The ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with all members of the school community;
- Sympathy with the Christian values of the School and the nature of working in a boarding environment.
If you feel that you can meet the above requirements then please submit a letter of application along with the Barnard Castle School application form to the Headmaster. Only applications containing the requested information will be considered.
Applications should be sent to:
Mr A C Jackson
Barnard Castle School
Phone: 01833 696081
Fax: 01833 638985
Deadline: Friday 2nd March 2018
Interviews: Week commencing Monday 12th March 2018