Reporting to: Head of English
Location: Ark Greenwich
Pattern: Full Time
Start date: September 2019 or January 2020
Salary: Ark MPS Inner London
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to work at one of the highest performing schools in the country. If you are passionate about the importance of English and want to work in a seriously ambitious and high performing school, this is the job for you.
Ark Greenwich is a new, ambitious school model based on what we know excellent schools do. We have created a highly respectful and disciplined environment where our staff and students can fulfil their potential. Our aim is to become ‘the best school in London’ and we are close to achieving this because academic outcomes are first class and because we value and respect our staff.
Joining the school team is a superb opportunity for an ambitious and motivated teacher who wants to make a lasting difference to the communities they serve.
Ark Greenwich exists to empower young people, regardless of socio-economic background, to grow and be successful. This is an ambitious and forward-thinking school that encourages innovation and invests in its staff. We are proud of our highly respectful and disciplined community and of the outstanding academic outcomes achieved by our pupils. Expectations for all members of our community are unashamedly sky high. We work tirelessly to impact the lives of the young people we serve. Students at our school are passionate about English and keen to develop their skills through the popular weekly enrichment sessions and lunch time clubs.
How is Ark Greenwich different?
• We are part of the Ark family of schools and benefit accordingly from outstanding networking and career opportunities and first class CPD.
• This is a strict no excuses, mobile phone school
• Staff wellbeing is one of our main priorities. We provide breakfast for staff each morning and have a 6pm/weekend work related communication curfew to ensure our staff can maintain a work/life balance. We do not do knee jerk reactions, fads or last minute deadlines. Our systems and processes for communication, pupil marking and feedback and assessment are efficient and streamlined and the approaches we take are led by research and the needs of our local context.
• This is a small school model (600 students aged 11-16) because we believe that our close-knit community provides the optimum conditions for success
• Behaviour for learning is exceptional so our teachers can focus their time on the things that matter – planning and delivering brilliant lessons for our students.
• Our curriculum is traditional and academic and we do not take shortcuts – we do not offer vocational courses or equivalencies such as Btecs, Vcerts or the ECDL.
• We put high-quality teaching at the heart of what we do. We have 60 mins of staff training every week and run coaching for staff wanting to see rapid progress in their discipline. Live coaching and current best practice in the field of education is central to our approach.
• We don’t grade individual lessons or ask for lesson plans.
• Our students enjoy a compulsory co-curricular program on a Wednesday afternoon which includes a strong focus on community volunteering, and we facilitate 12 drop down days per academic year ensuring our pupils benefit from a range of life enriching excursions.
If you are ready to add further value to our highly performing English department and to work alongside a brilliant school leadership team, then you will find this job extremely rewarding.
Alignment with the school’s vision, values and approach to education is essential.
The Role and the Department
We invest heavily in our outstanding English department which we believe is one of the strongest departments in the country; dedicating 5 hours a week to English for every student in KS4 and 4 hours at KS3. Students also benefit from 30 minutes of reading at the start of every day and our innovative ‘read now’ which precedes every lesson. The school has a track record of outstanding GCSE outcomes in English Literature and Language in 2018 – 34% grade 7-9, 75% grade 5+ (strong pass) and 90% grade 4+ (standard pass.) The English Progress 8 score is +0.6.
About Ark Schools
Ark is a network of high-achieving, non-selective schools and one of the country’s top-performing academy groups. We run 38 academies in London, Birmingham, Hastings, London and Portsmouth educating more than 26,000 pupils. 83% of Ark schools are now rated as good or outstanding by Ofsted.
Our aim is to create outstanding schools that give every pupil, regardless of their background, the opportunity to go to university or pursue the career of their choice.
To find out more about Ark Greenwich, please visit our website via www.arkgreenwichfreeschool.org
Closing date: 09:00 Friday 19th July. The school reserves the right to close this advert early should the right candidate be found. Interviews may take place before the advertised closing date. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early for this role.
Ark value diversity and are committed to safeguarding and promoting child welfare. The successful candidate will be subject to DBS and any other relevant employment checks.