ST MARY’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Newcastle upon Tyne Headteacher:
J Foster NOR c.1350
Teacher of English
Full-time or Part-time
Main or Upper Pay Range
Required for September 2018 until the return of the substantive post-holder (likely to be February 2019)
The Governors wish to appoint an enthusiastic and well-qualified English teacher (maternity cover) to join this outstanding school. The successful candidate will contribute to a department that prides itself on very high standards of teaching and learning. As in all of our appointments, we are looking for a teacher who has a passion for providing an excellent holistic education for students and who would be committed to promoting the school’s distinctive Catholic/Christian ethos.
St Mary’s is a very successful, popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,150 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 200, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years.
In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, English is a very well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:
- At GCSE level, 89% of pupils achieved a Grade 4 or higher, 75% Grade 5+ and 38% Grade 7+ in 2017
- GCSE Progress Score +0.62 and at the 12th percentile nationally in 2017 and the best for disadvantaged pupils in the North East of England
- 100% A*-C in A Level English Literature in 2017
- 86% A*-C in A Level English Language in 2017
- Over 93% A*-C in both English A Levels over the past 3 years
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a teacher with:-
- A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
- A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
- A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
- An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
Application packs are available to download from the school’s website at www.stmarysnewcastle.co.uk, the TES online www.tes.com, Schools NorthEast www.schoolsnortheast.com and North East Jobs www.northeastjobs.org.uk.
Applications should be sent to Julie Patterson, Headteacher’s PA, at email@example.com.
Closing date: 9:00am Tuesday 22nd May 2018
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.