TEACHER OF ENGLISH
Start Date: DATE TO BE MUTUALLY AGREED
Closing Date: 9.00am FRIDAY 13 SEPTEMBER 2019
Interviews: THURSDAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2019
Salary: Teachers’ Pay Scales
Contract: Permanent, Full-time (Part-time will be considered)
Situated in a beautiful area of North Dorset, with easy road access to London, Bath, Bristol, Exeter and the glorious Dorset coast, The Gryphon School , with its special atmosphere and feel, is a highly over-subscribed 11-18, comprehensive, Church of England school that welcomes those of all faiths and of none.
Our students come first and we encourage every student to strive for the highest possible levels of academic achievement alongside developing the personal attributes and qualities to thrive and make a positive contribution throughout life. Our students have an excellent record of success in gaining high results at both GCSE and A-level and our exceptional Sixth Form students, currently around 430, consistently secure university entrance, including to Oxbridge and the Russell Group, and in the most challenging courses.
We are a very proud school which attracts students from around North and West Dorset as well as South Somerset. We also pride ourselves on our support and care for everyone and each other and offer well-developed and high-quality professional development opportunities, health and well-being packages and a superb working environment
We are seeking to appoint an ambitious, creative and inspiring teacher or NQT with energy, enthusiasm and a love of English. The English Department is a large, creative and dynamic team with a real passion for literature, language and literacy. Levels of progress are very good and the GCSE Grade 4+ pass rate in best English (Language or Literature) in 2017 was 81% The English courses are amongst the most popular at A Level again with excellent results.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a passion for all aspects of the written and spoken word
• Have excellent communication skills and the ability to celebrate and promote high quality teaching and learning
• Have the ability to embrace and contribute to the vision of the Department and school
• Be able to build relationships quickly
• Have a positive approach
• Have a real interest in educational issues, approaches and alternatives from around the world
• Be proactive and confident
• Use resources, intellect, creativity and innovation to be successful
• Have the ability to support, challenge and inspire our students, encouraging them to achieve the best they can through the promotion of outstanding teaching and learning
• Have the ability to be a team player who will go the extra mile to support students and who will enjoy the opportunities of this role
Our special culture and ethos focuses on high achievement both personally and academically which comes from the tremendous work of all our staff and the great achievements of our students.
The Gryphon School has an absolute commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful applicant will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check via the DBS.
The Gryphon School values the diversity of our workforce and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community.