Teacher of English
• Imaginative and enthusiastic Dept with many theatre trips.
• A/L English is popular. All KS4 pupils do both English Language and English Lit GCSEs. (80% 9-4)
• The department was praised in the last OFSTED inspection ("English is taught well", "Teaching is consistently good in English..." "In one lesson students were observed reciting sections from Macbeth and clearly enjoyed doing so.") ,
• Keen to develop still further the academic successes which have been gained by the pupils right across the ability range including a number of students going on to study at degree level at Oxbridge and other universities.
- There are also opportunities to teach A/L Classics and A/L Media Studies.
Excellent NQT programme, commended in Investors in People Report "a great place to work". NQT salary backdated to 1st August
This is one of many positive comments in the Report reflecting the strong support for all staff. “The content and pace of the school’s NQT programme and the support provided by mentors is rated highly” with one NQT confirming “You felt supported, not overburdened or pressurised”. The Report continues: “People value the breadth of opportunities for development - 'They've progressed me so far since I've been here'"
The Ashcombe School is a mixed 11-18 comprehensive school for pupils of all abilities. There are approximately 1400 pupils on roll (with 250 in the Sixth Form). The school is highly sought-after, with around 240 pupils in each year. The school's academic success is widely recognised. We continue to have a broad & balanced GCSE based curriculum for all pupils (80% entered for EBacc). A fifth of pupils gain 4+ top GCSE grades (9, 8, A*), 75% gain 9-4 in English, Maths and other core subjects, and there is strong subject value-added The Sixth Form has 250 students offering 25 subjects at A-level, where the average points score per student is around 300 UCAS pts per student with low entry threshold and strong value-added at subject level
We gained Language College Status in September 1998. The school’s approach has been one of “extra opportunities” and sharing. We became a Leadership Partner School in 2009 and the school continues to have a strong outward-facing approach and offers help to many schools. This spirit of cooperation and partnership working is fundamental to South East Surrey Schools Education Trust (SESSET), the MAT we have formed as a partnership with 2 other like-minded schools to keep the ethos of the school the same.
Our extensive extra-curricular opportunities range from sporting events to local and international trips (incl Build Africa in Uganda) to European exchanges to musical groups and our highly acclaimed dramatic and musical productions.
We are a high achieving genuinely comprehensive school with a strong 6th Form, praised in the recent Ofsted report for the exceptional pastoral care and high levels of attainment across the ability range
See website www.ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk > "About the School" > "For prospective staff" for more details and an application form or use downloadable TES form or e-mail: HR@ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk
Closing date is 4pm on Monday 14th January 2019
THE ASHCOMBE SCHOOL, Ashcombe Road, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1LY Tel: 01306 886312 www.ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk
Day nursery facilities on site available for children of staff