Preston Lodge High School is a non-denominational secondary school serving the communities of Cockenzie, Port Seton, Longniddry and Prestonpans. Our roll is currently 991, and the school is a very short distance from Edinburgh. In June 2010 we were inspected and the particular strengths of the school were found to be:
- The high morale and improving ethos of the school community
- The contributions of young people to improvements in the climate for learning
- The work of staff across the school in supporting young people’s learning
- The strong leadership of the Head Teacher on school improvement.
- Since then, our motivated staff, students, parents and the community we serve have worked hard to further improve all aspects of our school.
Having worked closely with Cramlington Learning Village in Northumberland we have engaged all our staff in a fundamental examination of lesson planning and practice, which has resulted in the Preston Lodge Accelerated Learning Cycle. Full details of our approach to learning can be found on our website at http://www.edubuzz.org/pllearning/ . Our work is now focused on continuously improving our approach to classroom practice, in order to develop student and staff learning, with an emphasis on Making Thinking Visible. Key to this is the provision of proper time for teachers to collaboratively plan exciting lessons that stimulate all learners, and the Preston Lodge Learning Foundation employs a Head of Development to source financial support for this work.
Our PT Classroom Practice, our strong Learning Skills programme, our annual Learning Festival, and a highly innovative in-school professional learning programme for our staff (http://www.edubuzz.org/plpl/) are just some examples of the focus that we give to this work. Our staff and students work together to develop an understanding of not just what key skills should be learned by students, but how they should be learned and why they are important.
Closing date: 18/03/2018
Preston Lodge High School