Falkland Islands Government - Education Department
Teacher of Geography
Location: Falkland Islands Community School (11-16 age range), Falkland Islands
Responsible to: Principal of Secondary
Contract type: Full time
Contract term: Up to 4 years
Closing Date: Applications by Thursday 20th May 2021
Commencement: August 2021
Salary: Competitive: FIG Grade C, plus airfares, healthcare, education for accompanying children and subsidised rent
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.
Great value is placed on education by Government, parents, students and the community.
The Falkland Islands Community School
The Falkland Islands Community school is a comprehensive school that delivers a secondary level education, based on the English education system, for 200 students aged from 11 to 16.
It is our aim that all students are supported to reach their potential and leave as happy, curious and well-rounded individuals with the knowledge, skills and qualifications they need for the next stage in their lives. Our students are at the centre of all that we do as a school.
Our school is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, creative and experienced Teacher of Geography to start in September 2021. The successful applicant will join a well-resourced school with a supportive staff team, small class sizes and students who are keen to learn. The Geography department is well equipped and resourced, you will be the sole Geography teacher and work in a curriculum team to ensure all learners have opportunities to reach their full potential. In Key Stage 4 pupils study iGCSE course and sit exams through the Cambridge International exam board.
The improvement in standards at the school has been dramatic over the last two years, starting with the alignment of policies between primary and secondary provision, followed up with intelligent accountability measures. A strong focus on developing staff, with much CPD focused on teaching and learning, has supported the raising of staff and student aspirations. Clear rationales for the curriculum; assessment and reporting were developed and the KS3 curriculum thoroughly reviewed. The school has achieved a positive progress scores for the last three years.
We are seeking to recruit a Teacher of Geography who:
• is a graduate teacher with Qualified Teacher Status (recognisable in UK) who has completed the statutory induction year as an NQT and has 2 or more years post NQT successful experience teaching Geography at a good or better standard, including GCSE.
• is focused on teaching and learning, helping students achieve high levels of progress in a positive and effective learning environment.
• can work effectively with colleagues in the Primary section to ensure smooth transition of students.
• is able to efficiently run the Geography department, including managing resources and support staff to ensure students receive the support they require.
• is able to contribute to the development of PSHE, pastoral life and extra curriculum opportunities.
• A stimulating and supportive working environment with enthusiastic children who are keen to learn
• Salary up to £40,502
• Eligibility for a 25% gratuity payable upon satisfactory completion of the contract
• Favourable income tax rates
• Airfare for post holder and dependants at the beginning and end of contract, as well as return airfares after every full year of the contract
• Relocation grant
• subsidised accommodation to rent
• free education locally for dependent children to GCSE level and possible allowance for overseas studies thereafter
• fixed term contract of either 2, 3 or 4 years in the first instance
• detailed information about life in the Falkland Islands
• a unique and beautiful environment to live and work
School Website: https://www.secondary.ac.fk/
Applicants can download an application form, job description and further information from this page.
Interviews will be held between Monday 24th May and Friday 28th May 2021 either by video conferencing or by telephone. More details about an interview task and opportunity to share video clips of teaching practice will be provided to shortlisted teachers.
For more information please contact the Recruitment Officer, Human Resources Department, Cable Cottage, Stanley, Falkland Islands, FIQQ 1ZZ; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 00 500 27420 or Fax: 00 500 27212 stating the post you are interested in.
Apply via the TES website by completing and submitting an application form by Thursday 20th May 2021.
You must meet the following requirements for a visa or working permit:
- 3 years teaching experience.
- A degree related to subject taught.
- UK Qualified Teacher Status or similar teaching qualification.
- Proficient in English.
- Should hold a valid passport from either Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States.
- References, Medical check, Criminal background check
- Over 24 and below 64 years of age
Falkland Islands Community School (FICS)
- Mainstream school with state funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 16 years
The Falkland Islands are a unique and dramatically beautiful environment set in the South Atlantic Ocean. Great value is placed on education by Government, parents, students and the community as a whole. Primary and secondary education follows ...