About the role: Are you a highly skilled, passionate Geography practitioner keen to join an incredibly collaborative and successful team for September 2019? We have the perfect position for you... The Halley Academy has an opportunity to appoint a Teacher of Geography who will join a stable, dynamic, supportive and creative department whose focus is on inspiring our students with a love for learning.
- We deem this to be a great position on the basis that;
- We are a highly supportive department and work collaboratively together on a number of trips and drop down days. For instance, a Battlefields trip, Rochester for our Year 7s and fieldwork trips.
- We have a mixture of experienced members of staff and also those that are new to the profession which leads dynamic working environment.
- We will have plenty of expertise ready to help support any NQTs and regularly have PGCE students within the department.
- We are just about to undergo an exciting transformation with the LAT and will be changing our KS3 schemes to be in line with the MYP.
- We have grown in popularity in the past couple of years as a department and now have 4 groups in both Year 10 and Year 11 for both History and Geography.
- We are also looking to expand further in KS5, offering both Geography and Politics, alongside History and the very popular Sociology and Psychology.
The role can be offered on a full or part-time basis (minimum 0.6fte) based on our successful teacher’s preference, and we can offer an earlier start date based on your availability. The duties and responsibilities associated with this post are in line with the National Teaching Standards - please click here to view the Job Description.
Working with The Halley Academy: The Halley Academy has a long and illustrious heritage being the first purpose-built comprehensive in the UK in the 1950s. We became part of Leigh Academies Trust in early 2018, a highly successful multi-academy trust offering a wealth of opportunities to all of its staff and students to collaborate, develop and grow.
The Halley is a vibrant academy on an exciting journey of rapid improvement. We are a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme in Post 16 and the IB Middle Years Programme in Key Stage 3. We are a diverse community where everyone is valued, respected and trusted, where we all work together to achieve and celebrate success. Students thrive within a culture of high aspiration, with no cap on ambition, building the skills to lead healthy, happy and successful lives.
Our dedicated staff are the most important factor in transforming lives and delivering the best outcomes for every student. Every colleague has access to a wide range of professional development opportunities, tailored to the individual depending on aspirations and key areas of interest. We are seeking to appoint talented and ambitious individuals with a tenacious mind-set to join The Halley Academy for September 2019.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As of 1st January 2019, our Trust is comprised of 23 geographically organised academies (11 secondaries, 11 primaries and 1 special) educating over 15,000 students, and employing over 2,500 talented staff. We also have three further academies in development phase, due to open in September 2020. The Trust is establishing four ‘clusters’ of academies: North West Kent; Central Kent; South East London; Medway. In addition, the Trust is responsible for one of the region’s biggest initial teaching training providers and a large teaching school.
As part of Leigh Academies Trust, you will have ample opportunity to collaborate with your peers both within the academy and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together. You are supported to undertake regular self-development to continue your professional development and hopefully progress further within the organisation.
We strive to offer a range of benefits that all employees can take advantage of which we regularly review and add to - click here to view what you’d receive as a member of staff with Leigh Academies Trust.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise.
The academy is committed to safeguarding children and successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check. Our commitment to safeguarding is underpinned by robust processes and checks which are in place across the Trust.