Runnymede College is a private non-denominational British school in Madrid offering a British education to boys and girls of all nationalities from the age of two to eighteen. The education offered follows the British National Curriculum.
Founded as a private school in September 1967, the primary school was inaugurated in 1987, and since 1990, the whole School has been situated in La Moraleja, a residential estate 13 km to the north of Madrid.
Academic levels are high at Runnymede College. In June 2020 79% of our students achieved A-A* at A Level, which meant three of our pupils gained places at Oxford and a further 25 at UCL, LSE, Imperial College and Edinburgh. Two students also turned down places at Oxford and Cambridge to study at Yale and Stanford respectively. Most of our graduates choose to study in the UK, Spain or the US, although other destinations such as France, Switzerland and the Netherlands are also considered.
The school is looking to recruit an outstanding History teacher to join our Senior School department for September 2021. This is a full time, maternity cover role from 1st September 2021 to 30th June 2022.
Join a rewarding and exciting learning environment, both within and beyond the classroom. Runnymede College has a very successful and welcoming History department which is looking for a well-qualified, enthusiastic and experienced graduate to teach the subject throughout the school (Years 7-13 or Years 7-11 depending on the strengths of the candidate).
We are seeking to appoint a History specialist who is committed to achieving the very best for pupils at all levels. The successful candidate will have strong subject knowledge and good classroom skills with a desire to engage and motivate pupils using effective methods of teaching, embracing the use of interactive teaching methods and ICT.
Departmental results are excellent with a range of between 75 and 83% of students gaining A*-A at IGCSE and large numbers achieving A*-A at A level. Pupils have gained awards for the highest marks in the world at A level in two of the last three years.
At Key Stage 3 pupils study units on History skills, the Middle Ages, the Making of the UK, the French Revolution, African civilisations and Slavery, the Industrial Revolution and the First World War. All our pupils then go on to study for the Cambridge (CIE) IGCSE in History following the 20th century option with depth studies on either the USA or Germany. A level History is a popular option at the school and we follow the Pearson/Edexcel A Level History course with units on Russia 1917-1991, Mao’s China, Protest, Agitation and Parliamentary Reform 1780-1928 and coursework on the Origins of the Cold War. We will endeavour to tailor the timetable to the specific skills and expertise of the successful candidate.
The successful applicant should have:
- a good honours degree from a British University
- a PGCE
- recent experience as a History teacher in a school in the UK and/or at and international school following the British curriculum
- excellent subject knowledge
- excellent teamwork skills and be willing to collaborate on planning and resourcing
- the ability to modify learning strategies to target the needs of individual students
- high expectations of pupils’ effort and behaviour, and facilitate this with proven classroom management skills
- be organised and able to prioritise to meet deadlines
- be motivated and use initiative to contribute to success of the department
- be a native level English speaker
- possess valid references, and have an up to date CRB/DBS check
- have a good working knowledge of ICT systems and the application of ICT in the classroom (Google Classroom & Zoom) and be prepared to use iPads as a learning tool
Please complete the TES online application form and attach a copy of your CV and cover letter.
Final date for applications- Friday 28th May 2021
Runnymede is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including check with past employers and the Disclosure and Baring service.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years