Teacher of Mathematics and Physics
Island Academy International School- Antigua, West Indies
Island Academy International (IA) is a unique school located on the beautiful island of Antigua in the Caribbean. IA is a private, co-educational non-denominational school with approxiamtely 280 students ranging from Kindergarten to Grade 13. IA offers an international curriculum leading to CXC (the Caribbean equivalent of GCSE/IGCSE) and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP).
IA is special in Antigua, and the wider Caribbean region, as we are a registered non-for-profit organization and over 40% of our students attend the school with financial aid. Our success is evident in our consistent record of excellent academic achievements, pastoral support and wide range of extra-curricular successes.
Island Academy invites applications from fully qualified, enthusiastic teachers to join our high-performing teaching team in August 2021 for the following post:
TEACHER OF MATHEMATICS and PHYSICS
The successful candidate must have a degree in a Mathematics or Physics, or a closely related subject, and be able to teach Mathematics in the first instance to CXC/GCSE level and to IBDP level. The candidate must also have the ability to teach Physics to CXC/GCSE as a minimum. Although teachers with IB training and experience are preferred, less experienced candidates should also apply. You could be the right fit for us and vice versa.
All teachers should;
· Have an internationally recognized teaching qualification;
· Be an outstanding practitioner with proven, measurable student results;
· Have high expectations of themselves and all the students they teach;
· Be an inclusive team player who is committed to lifelong learning;
· Be solution focused- you need to be flexible to work at IA!
· Be a reflective practitioner with the ability to adapt to a different environment quickly;
· Be a positive role model on a small island within a tight-knit community.
· The experience of working in a prestigious multicultural, IBDP school;
· IB training provided by the IBO;
· A positive team culture and supportive community ethos;
· An outstanding work/ life balance with reduced paper-work;
· Professional development supported by annual review;
· Leadership opportunities.
To get the best understanding of IA and Antigua candidates should read the attached school profile and the ‘Welcome to Antigua’ handbook that is attached to this advertisement. All candidates must be able to fulfill the work permit criteria, outlined in the handbook.
Candidates should submit letters of application by email. Letters should be accompanied by a full CV, photograph, contact telephone numbers and the names, emails and phone numbers of at least two referees who will provide confidential references, one of whom should be your present or most recent employer. We will not contact references until we have obtained your permission
Please submit your application by email before the closing date of Friday 27th February, 2021 to:
Ms. Portia Moursy, Principal
Island Academy International
Interviews will be held via skype/facetime/Zoom on a rolling basis. Early applications are encouraged.
Start Date: Monday, 16th August 2021
Contract Duration: 1-2 years- dependent on experience and circumstances
Package and Salary: Competitive for the Caribbean region and dependent on experience and previous qualifications. Other benefits include medical insurance, and relocation allowance. Applicants from teachers without dependents, or those with family members who are able to work remotely from Antigua are encouraged.
Antigua and Barbuda
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 4 - 18 years