Post Title: Teacher of Mathematics
Responsible to: Subject Leader for Maths
Rickmansworth School is a mixed 11-18 School. The School operates within an equal opportunities policy which emphasises a positive education for boys and girls and members of all communities. We are a School of around 120 teaching staff members and 40 support staff, with over 1200 students; including around 300 in the sixth form each year.
Job descriptions are subject to review and amendment
Main Purpose of Role:
• To support the Subject Leader for Maths and SLT in meeting whole School priorities and realising the School’s shared vision.
• To use initiative and contribute positively to the Maths Leadership Team.
• To lead on curriculum development.
• To monitor student progress in Maths and provide timely intervention, ensuring students make good progress in line with the School’s expectations.
• To communicate timely with others in the Maths Leadership Team to enable swift support and action to be taken when necessary.
• To fulfil the duties and expectations of a member of staff at the School.
• To act as an appraiser to another member of the Maths Department.
Teaching and Learning:
• Manage students’ learning in accordance with the Maths schemes for learnings and whole school policies.
• Ensure that students have a long-term cohesive pathway of learning, allowing for progression of all abilities; ensure that each lesson is differentiated for the needs of students.
• Ensure that all levels of planning for learning are in place and promote progress for all students in line with expectations.
• Implement and maintain procedures and practices to monitor and ensure the quality of teaching and learning within the subject through quality assurance, including regular lesson observation and work scrutiny.
• Develop whole school priorities such as Literacy, Numeracy, and PLTS through long, medium and short-term planning for learning, and use these to promote independent learners.
• Inspire a love of the subject in general by acting as a role model and showing enthusiasm for Maths.
Monitoring and Assessment:
• Ensure that students’ work is marked by all staff, following the guidelines set out by the school.
• Provide feedback on individuals or groups of students as and when required.
• Use the information from regular assessment to impact upon the planning for future learning.
• Provide reports, grades and written commentaries of students as and when required.
• Ensure that all lessons are registered via the school’s electronic registration system.
Subject Knowledge and Understanding:
• Ensure that an up to date knowledge of subject matters, especially programmes of study, level descriptors and examination specifications is maintained.
• Seek constantly to improve and disseminate the knowledge of pedagogy and therefore the quality of teaching within Maths.
Professional Standards and Development:
• Conduct self as a role model for all members of the school community.
• Provide cover for absent colleagues as defined by the school’s ‘rarely cover’ policy.
• Take an active part in the Health and Safety policy personally and as it applies to all members of the school community.
• Be familiar with and support School policies.
• Establish effective working relationships with all colleagues, ensuring that high standards are maintained in all lessons.
• Seek out professional development opportunities that benefit both self and the wider school community.
• Show willingness to engage in the wider life of the school.
• Be aware of the professional standards as they are laid down and ensure that their practice supports standards relevant to their career profile.
• Support through interactions with students the SEN Code of Practice and consider the needs of all vulnerable groups within the school.
• Organise and minute subject meetings.
• All members of staff at Rickmansworth School have a pastoral responsibility; students’ well being and achievement must be at the heart of what we do.
This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the amount of time to be spent on carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive description of the duties required but outlines the main responsibilities of the post. It will be reviewed annually and can be added to at the discretion of the Headteacher.
An enhanced DBS check will be required for this post.
Closing date for Applications: 8:00am Monday 28 January 2019
Interviews: Thursday 31 January 2019 or earlier
(Suitable applicants will be interviewed upon receipt of application)