Job Title: Teacher of Mathematics
Salary: MPS/UPS with Queen Ethelburga’s Salary Enhancement
Permanent/ Fixed Term: Permanent
Hours: 34 weeks of the academic year; 40 hours per week including teaching, form time, duties, department meeting/directed time (Mondays until 5.15pm) and prep.
Closing Date: 14/05/2021
Queen Ethelburga’s is set in more than 220 acres of beautiful North Yorkshire countryside, on the Thorpe Underwood Estate. Staff work as one team – whether they are directly teaching or supporting students as part of the school and pastoral teams, or as part of our estates team making sure that the campus works as it should – to create a vibrant learning and living environment in which every student can thrive. We aspire to excellence, have high expectations of ourselves and others, and take pride in everything we do. We aim to nurture resilient, confident, and independent lifelong learners. The Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate Standard is ‘To be the best that I can with the gifts that I have’.
We are searching for a Teacher of Mathematics to join the department at an exciting time, as super-curricular opportunities are being developed alongside the academic curriculum, providing career development and varied responsibilities. Applications from NQT’s are extremely encouraged!
The Mathematics Department delivers courses at all levels and Key Stages. In Key Stage 3, we follow the National Curriculum, focusing on developing the skills required for GCSE and introducing the content to support this. In Key Stage 4 we offer AQA GCSE Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Edexcel iGCSE Mathematics, Edexcel GCSE Statistics. In Key Stage 5 we offer OCR A Mathematics AS and A Level, OCR A Further Mathematics AS and A Level and Edexcel Statistics A Level. With the Sixth Form representing around 65% of our teaching timetable, we regularly have multiple parallel classes of Mathematics and Further Mathematics in each of Years 12 and 13. Students are prepared for STEP Mathematics and the MAT entrance examinations. We enter students for the UKMT Mathematics Challenges, both individual and team, and continue into the follow-on rounds for our strongest. We offer access to university lecture days aimed towards Key Stages 4 and 5 students and have enjoyed lectures by Alex Bellos and others as part of the Principal’s Lecture Programme.
The Head of Department for Mathematics, with a team of Curriculum Leaders covering each Key Stage, has overall responsibility for the delivery of Mathematics throughout Years 6 - 13. The department is mostly located in a self-contained classroom block with offices. There is a good sense of camaraderie amongst the team with a programme incorporating induction, CPD and professional development. The department is well resourced and is highly regarded in terms of teaching, learning and student feedback/support. Each classroom has a whiteboard, computer, projector and TV. The department has created extensive electronic resources that are shared by staff, and the emphasis is on teamwork to ensure effective learning for students. The department uses Microsoft Teams extensively to support students’ independent learning. Friendly, supportive and innovative, the department enjoys considerable success in examinations at GCSE and A level.
Key Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- 30 hours of contact time with students per week
- Supervision of an evening prep session (Monday – Thursday) until 8.10pm is required on one evening each week
- Utilise specialist skills, training and experience to support students
- Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students within the classroom and the Collegiate environment
- Support students consistently, recognising and responding to their individual needs
- Provide feedback to students in relation to progress and achievement
- Keep records of progress in the form of formal assessments and reports on the development, progress and attainment of students, as individuals and as groups of students to line managers and parents
- Establish an appropriate learning environment.
- Maintain good order and discipline amongst the students, safeguarding their health and safety
- Lesson planning, evaluating and adjusting lessons/work plans/schemes of work as appropriate
- Provide objective and accurate feedback and reports as required on student achievement, progress and other matters, ensuring the availability of appropriate evidence
- Undertake marking of students’ work and accurately record achievement/progress
- Promote positive values, attitudes and good student behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage students to take responsibility for their own behaviour
- Communicate and consult with parents, outside bodies as directed by the Heads of School/Year
The Appointed Candidate will have:
- Strong honours degree in Mathematics
- A proven record of successfully delivering mathematics at GCSE
- A proven record of successfully delivering mathematics at A level (desirable)
- Ability to mentor staff and students to achieve their fullest potential
- Ability to teach across Key Stages 3-5
- Demonstrable skills in planning and organising
- Ability to provide relevant subject, curriculum or pupil performance information
- Knowledge of Child Protection/Safeguarding (Desirable)
- Motivation to work with children and young people
- Proactivity with your own professional development and in supporting others in meeting individual needs
- Demonstrate an up to date knowledge of the new national curriculum, other qualifications and the suitability for meeting learners’ needs (Desirable)
- Competitive salary paid according to qualifications and experience and from within the current national pay scales. Queen Ethelburga’s also offers a salary enhancement scheme for staff after a one-year qualifying period.
- All academic staff are enrolled in the Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Free staff gym
- Annual family summer barbecue
- Annual black-tie Christmas Ball for staff and a guest
- Subsidised school fees for staff children
QE is committed to ensuring a safe environment for its pupils and staff. Applicants will be required to provide proof of identity and undergo the relevant DBS checks for their role.
Any personal information you share with us on your application form will be used solely for recruitment purposes. Your details will be held for up to 6 months and destroyed after this time.
Any questions on individual roles or the recruitment process can be sent to the HR department on firstname.lastname@example.org
We receive high volumes of applications, due to this if you have not heard from us within two weeks of your application, unfortunately on this occasion your application will not have been successful.
Queen Ethelburga's Collegiate
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 1 - 19 years
Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate is an ‘Excellent’ rated (ISI 2019), boarding and day school for girls and boys, aged 0 to 19 years.
We are four schools in one happy community, blending the best of international and British educational ideals. We have a...