Set in 26 acres of beautiful parkland in Cobham, Notre Dame School nestles in a picturesque 18th century mansion beside the River Mole. Notre Dame is a Catholic School and is a Foundation of the Company of Mary Our Lady with an ethos shaped by the life and work of St Jeanne de Lestonnac. Despite the tranquil setting Notre Dame School is a hive of activity, with over 600 children and teachers working hard in the important business of education. The school has an enviable reputation for the highest academic standards and a progressive, holistic, academic education that is underpinned by over 400 years of international educational tradition in 30 countries. Established in England in 1937, the school has always had the philosophy that the greatest success comes from knowing how to learn and how to ask the right questions; training pupils to take an active role in reaching and exceeding early expectations. From the vibrant Nursery to the exciting Sixth Form, tomorrow's professionals acquire the skills, knowledge and qualifications that give them the best possible start in life.
The Head of Music has created a department of academic strength and diversity of performance.
Peripatetic music lessons are popular with a high percentage (50%) of the student body opting to take instrumental or singing lessons. There are three choirs, Notre Dame Singers, a Chapel Choir, and a Staff Choir (for Prep and Senior staff), and instrumental groups include a chamber orchestra, a jazz group and other chamber ensembles. Senior music students are encouraged to set up and conduct ensembles.
Music plays an integral part in school life, with regular whole school rehearsals. Major music events including Prize Giving, Feast Day Masses, Christmas Carol Service, Musical productions and a range of formal and informal concerts over the year.
- To assist the Director of Music in the coordination of extra-curricular clubs and inter-house events.
- To share responsibility with the Director of Music for out-of-school rehearsals for major school productions as well as A level work.
- To assist the Director of Music in maintaining the high profile of music within the school and wider community.
- Ability to teach and motivate pupils
- Ability to communicate passion and enthusiasm for his/her subject
- Excellent knowledge of Music
- Good knowledge and understanding of subject related issues such as assessment, target setting etc.
- Good organisational and administrative skills
- Ability to use ICT
- Communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing
- Positive and enthusiastic
- Capacity for sustained hard work – able to work under pressure
- Ability to solve problems, achievement driven
- Passionate, conviction and a clear personal philosophy which supports the ethos of the Department/School
- Creative, imaginative and resourceful
- Ability to make good professional relationships – with staff, students and parents
- Ability to motivate and make strong, resilient relationships with young people
- Integrity and loyalty
Closing Date: 9 am 21st March 2019
Interviews: w/c 25th March 2019
Start date: September 2019
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by senior members of the School and take a tour of the school.
Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form - Please download and comeplete this form. Once comeplete, please send directly to HR@notredame.co.uk
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.