Located in the beautiful town of Tervuren, near the university city of Leuven, BSB is a not for profit, inclusive fee-paying international school with 1,350 students from approximately 70 countries. There is an Early Childhood Centre for children aged 1-3. Our Primary School offers a bespoke curriculum with integrated learning themes that are inquiry based and skills driven. Whilst British-based, it is uniquely adapted to the needs of our international and multicultural student body. Students in Year 10 & 11 study for iGCSE and BTEC courses. Post-16 students can choose from three internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: English A Levels,International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or BTEC. BSB has outstanding facilities and is the only international school in Belgium to have its own 25m indoor swimming pool. With an excellent record of academic achievement, BSB students go on to attend a wide range of top universities across the globe.
We are seeking to employ a suitably qualified and exceptional classroom teacher to join an extremely successful faculty to teach Science to Years 7-9 and Chemistry to Years 10-13.
Science sits within the wider Science and Technology Faculty and is managed by the Faculty Leader who is also the Head of Biology. Staff work closely in Years 7-13 to deliver consistent Science, IGCSE, IB, A Level and BTEC programmes. All students in Years 7-9 study Science. At examination level, we follow the IGCSE Science Double Award (9-1) specification taught by Biology, Chemistry and Physics specialists. Post-16, the three Sciences remain popular option subjects with all three specialisms taught at A Level. In the IB programme, Biology, Chemistry and Physics are taught at HL and SL and Environmental Systems and Societies is taught at SL. Some of our students opt for the BTEC in Applied Science. There are currently 12 teachers in the department who work cooperatively in a close-knit and positive team. There are 11 fully equipped laboratories, 3 preparation rooms and 4 technicians to support the practical aspects of the different courses.
The successful candidate will have had previous experience teaching at secondary school level, ideally in the British system internationally and/or in the UK. We expect applicants to be suitably qualified. NQT or teachers new to the profession are welcome to apply as support and will be given additional non-contact time which, along with mentoring support brings it to a full-time role.
The successful applicant will:
- Set the highest standards in terms of learning and teaching, getting the very best from students from all backgrounds and all abilities;
- Work closely with department colleagues in creating a sense of cohesion and collaborative spirit within the department and will co-operate with colleagues in other departments and the Primary School;
- Be appreciative of students’ differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds;
- Be actively involved in professional learning within the department and across the school where opportunities arise, including after-school meetings, relevant courses and professional development days;
- Have good IT skills professionally and pedagogically;
- Be attuned to current developments in teaching Science in general and their specialist subject in particular;
- Be willing to help develop Schemes of Work, teaching resources and contribute to the development of the curriculum;
- Be willing and able to contribute wholeheartedly to the social and personal development of students, and to the extra-curricular life of the school;
- Be willing to take an active part in school trips, both residential and day visits.
- Passionate teacher of Science and in particular of Chemistry
- Committed to achieving the best at all times for BSB students
- Belief that in learning and in life more is achieved together than alone
- Open mindedness and welcoming of others
- Committed to the safety and wellbeing of BSB students.
In return, we offer:
- A part-time contract for 1 year with full obligation to attend all staff meetings and Professional Learning sessions. Possibility of full-time for an NQT
- An interesting position in a thriving faculty in an international environment
- Excellent professional development opportunities
- An attractive salary – (BSB Learning & Teaching staff – Band 4 representing a
minimum of € 49.092 and a maximum of € 89.103 gross per year for a full time position, depending on the years of relevant experience) and extra-legal benefits including an hospitalisation insurance, extra pension payments, luncheon vouchers and free use of the BSB sport facilities and gym.
The deadline for applications is Monday, 18 March at 16.00 (CET).
Please note that only applications sent in via the application form on the BSB website will be considered. No other submissions will be accepted.
Interviews will be held at the school and this process will include a sample lesson and opportunities to meet potential colleagues.
“The British School of Brussels is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.” (with reference to the most recent KCSIE)