Teacher of Science & Curriculum Consultant
Start date: 1st September 2021
Contract Type: Flexible full time or part time
Contract Term: One year fixed term with a view to extend
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The West London Free School is a non-selective school based in Hammersmith, West London. We provide an excellent work environment, value the importance of staff wellbeing and encourage career progression. The West London Free School aims to provide all pupils, irrespective of their background, with a Classical Liberal education. We have a distinctive school culture built on a passion for bringing rich, demanding and inspiring knowledge to pupils of all abilities. We treasure the subject knowledge of staff, we value their passion for continuing to grow as subject specialists and we support their subject-specific development.
There is a firm and fair approach to behaviour, systematically supported by senior staff: all pupil detentions are centralised and run by senior staff every day. Teachers are therefore able to prioritise the planning and teaching of subject knowledge. School leaders all teach, love their subjects, understand workload pressures and are highly visible around school.
The Science Department embodies a collaborative approach to planning and curriculum development. This means that Science is taught in a carefully sequenced manner, ensuring that pupils build understanding, giving them the firm foundation, they need to pursue further scientific study. The quality of lesson resources are reviewed and shared consistently across all Key Stages, allowing members of the Department enough time to support pupils with meaningful feedback and instruction. We place a heavy emphasis on a knowledge-based Science curriculum and accompanying booklets, both of which reflect WLFS's Latin motto, Sapere Aude, “Dare to know". Our pupils in each year group are enthusiastic and making excellent progress in all three Science specialisms.
The Science department work closely together and support one another, constantly reflecting on their own practice. They are forward thinking, creative, innovative and supportive of new approaches. We are looking for a curriculum consultant who is inspired by the opportunity to assist the Head of Science in leading the team to raise the standards of KS3 and/or KS5 curriculum which inspires and enables students to perform at their best. Approximately 70% of the role will focus on curriculum sequencing and development and the remaining 30% will be a traditional (biology/ physics/ chemistry) teaching delivery role. We are committed to continual improvement and if you join us you will be key to our further development. Please take time to look at our website www.wlfs.org. This can give you a glimpse into life at our school, but I hope it will inspire you to apply for this excellent career opportunity in a school community where you can make a significant impact and where we will welcome you warmly and support you professionally.
The successful candidate will:
• have a detailed knowledge of and passion for Science, and will enthuse staff, pupils and parents with a love for the subject.
• be a model of excellent practice.
• show a commitment to enhancing the quality of teaching and learning in the department.
• have effective and efficient communication skills with both pupils and staff.
• have an outstanding track record of Science teaching and outcomes for pupils at both GCSE and A-Level.
• be well-read in wider education debates, particularly regarding the nature of school curricula and assessment.
• have had experience of reviewing and sequencing and developing a science curriculum with an initial emphasis on KS3.
• have an understanding and commitment to the ethos of the school.
• be strategic and innovative thinker.
• have a record of raising achievement.
• have a track record of championing the 7 Principles of a West London Free School lesson.
• be a team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• be committed to raising standards of learning for KS3 and/or KS5 including working with the team to refine KS5 teaching and outcomes.
Application deadline: 16th April 2021
Interviews: w/c Monday 19th April 2021
The West London Free School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
* Please note that West London Free School reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement prior to the closing date should a suitable candidate be appointed before the closing date.
West London Free School
Hammersmith and Fulham
- Mainstream school with state - free school funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
West London Free School is a co-educational free school based in Hammersmith and Fulham in London for students aged 11-18.
Robert Peal and Ben McLaughlin
Values and vision
The West London Free School aims to be one of the best s...