Teacher of Science - Biology or Physics specialist required
Affordable shared accommodation available from August 2019
At Northolt High School, our vision, mission and values underpin everything that we do. We enable our students to develop strength of character, to be articulate and confident and to secure the best academic outcomes possible. Our school vision is "committed to excellence". This summarises our core aim of continuous improvement. Our mission statement describes how we work to achieve this core aim - through "seizing opportunity, instilling ambition, realising potential". Join us and you will be welcomed by a hard-working, dedicated staff team who are united in their focus on student achievement.
We’re at an exciting time in our development of our innovative school improvement partnership with Sycol. Through this, all members of staff in the school are part of a high quality leadership development programme. Termly innovation projects involve every member of staff, helping us quickly and effectively share ideas whilst forging strong partnerships across the staff team. These projects ensure that systematic school improvement is embedded in everything we do.
We are a small school at the moment with ambition to grow in size in the coming years, with a new building project on the horizon. We maintain a broad and balanced curriculum offer for all students. Our intention is to develop the school so that it has STEAM specialism (the ‘A’ is for Art); Science is clearly an integral part of this ambition. Science is a popular subject, with enthusiastic uptake from Key Stage 3 students for our annual Science Week and Science Fair events. Our Key Stage 3 female students work alongside primary school students leading ‘Girls into Physics’ events each year. We run triple Science GCSE in Key Stage 4 each year with all students studying for at least a double Science GCSE award. Our small sixth form offer is focused around STEM subjects with Biology, Chemistry and Physics A Levels running each year as well as Level 3 BTEC in Applied Science. Our post-16 outcomes in these subjects are amongst the strongest in the local authority and we are keen to build on this success.
There is also the opportunity for a TLR position of responsibility. This is likely to take the format of a second in charge of department and/or a teacher with specific responsibility for the sixth form. We will also be advertising for pastoral TLR vacancies before Easter, including the position of Director of Sixth Form. If you are interested in any of these positions, please contact Lauren Weeks, PA to the Headteacher, on firstname.lastname@example.org for further details and make reference to this in your application form. If you would like to come for a tour of the school and to meet with our Science Team before applying, please get in touch with Lauren who will make arrangements for this.
We will be the right school for you if you are committed to:
- Ensure outstanding progress and attainment in GCSE Science and in post 16 Biology or Physics;
- Play a full part in termly innovation projects to contribute to the development of school- wide continuous improvement;
- Continue to promote the profile of the Science department through contributions to the wider life of the school.
We can offer you:
- Great support and training as you develop your career;
- The opportunity to innovate and bring in new ideas to contribute towards improving our school;
- A caring and supportive professional environment, with an early finish every Friday to promote a good work / life balance;
- A thoughtful and well-structured school calendar with careful attention paid to balancing teacher workload;
- The potential for a TLR (see earlier details in this advertisement);
- The opportunity to rent a home at affordable prices for up to two years (we are converting an old Caretaker’s House adjacent to the site to shared accommodation for teaching staff).
A Job Description & Person Specification plus an application form can be found on our website: www.northolthigh.org.uk
Please email your application to the Headteacher’s PA at: email@example.com
Closing date: 9am, Monday 18 March 2019
Interviews to be held: Thursday 21 March 2019
The school is committed to safeguarding children and safer recruitment processes are always robustly followed. Successful candidates’ appointment will be subject to safer recruitment checks and satisfactory completion of an enhanced DBS check. Further information can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/disclosure-and-barring-service/about