Winchester School, delivering the British Curriculum, was founded in September 2016 and opened with 350 children on day one. Housed in brand new, state of the art buildings with excellent facilities, WSF has grown at a rapid rate to meet the needs of a local Emirati and International Ex-pat community. Fujairah city itself is growing into the premier city on the beautiful eastern coast of the UAE. As an all-through school (currently reception to Year 10, but growing each year to incorporate a Sixth Form by 2020), GEMS Winchester’s popularity is already evident with 1557 pupils now attending and many parents looking for places next year.
This is a fantastic opportunity for UK trained teachers to start their international career with a global leading company and world class International School located in this beautiful Emirate.
Due to the continued success of the school, and additional student enrollment numbers we are looking for passionate, dynamic teachers to join our existing team. We are looking for enthusiastic teachers who will make a difference every day to our children’s development. We want colleagues who are ambitious to join a company in GEMS that has a world class reputation for outstanding education and a school that is ready to grow to meet our community’s needs. We expect to serve around 2,000 families by September 2019.
Fujairah is not Dubai! But it is a wonderful place to live. Although only an hour’s drive from that busy metropolis, Fujairah sits at the foot of the Hajar Mountains facing the Indian Ocean with some of the most beautiful coastline and spectacular scenery in the UAE. Its large port, one of the deepest in the world, is connected via an underground pipeline to Abu Dhabi and serves thousands of ships. Its Free Zone attracts many international businesses and trade is growing rapidly. People have been living in this region since Neolithic times, but is ready now to emerge into its new age of economic growth and prosperity. In ten years’ time, it will rival other famous UAE centres as an exciting modern city with a vibrant economy and culture. Today it is a very much cheaper and more laid-back place to live and work.
In return for your energy, resilience and experience, we offer you the opportunity to make a real impact on a developing community. You will work with the UAE’s largest and most successful education company in GEMS, which will support your professional and career development, and you will work with a supportive Senior Leadership Team in Winchester School Fujairah who will help you develop your potential.
This is a key SLT role leading the improvement of teaching standards and increasing student progress and attainment.
Academic and Pastoral Responsibilities:
- Supporting and liaising closely with other SLT, middle leaders, SENCO, AC, MSF, PRE and teachers.
- Work directly with teachers to improve and develop their skills, knowledge and pedagogy so that student outcomes are improved.
- Work directly with Section/Key Stage Leaders and Heads of Department to support the improvement of academic standards in every section of the school.
- Work directly with other members of the SLT to support teaching and learning and provide regular updates and reports on teachers’ progress against agreed targets and actions.
- As Professional Tutor, lead the induction of new teaching staff, especially NQTs, and manage the Quality Assurance programme for new starters and for those teachers who are below “good” in their lesson evaluations.
- Use mentoring/coaching methods to develop reflective practice in others and encouraging the use of new learning strategies.
- Conduct frequent and regular supportive observations and set up actions plans as required.
- Play an active role in the teaching, learning and assessment quality assurance process as appropriate and when required.
- Attend external events, take part in peer review and be proactive in developing own continuous professional development.
- Plan and lead sessions on teaching and assessment for staff CPD, identifying team training and specific topics.
- Act as Learning Coach in micro-tech sessions as part of the School’s recruitment process as appropriate.
- Identify areas of good practice and develop and share resources through the staff intranet and by attending team meetings.
- Develop, promote and involve teaching staff in creative initiatives to share good practice.
- Support Teachers in the development of outstanding assessment techniques.
- Monitor and drive improvements in the quality of written (marking) and verbal feedback to learners.
- Ensure that the curriculum is supported and underpinned by effective schemes of work, assignment planners and well differentiated planning of lessons.
- Ensuring that all documentation supporting teaching, learning and assessment (schemes of work, lesson plans) meet the standards laid down by GEMS.
- Laise with the Head of Primary and Head of Secondary to ensure that teaching, learning and assessment are important components of the appraisal (PDPs) of all teachers and that observation outcomes inform appraisal action plans.
- Implement internal inspection processes in those areas deemed to be risk. This will include carrying out documentation audits, management of the process, feedback of outcomes to appropriate leaders and teams and providing a written report to the Principal.
- Ensure the development of all aspects of teaching, learning and assessment identified in the MOE National Inspection Framework (feedback to learners, setting high expectations, meeting learner needs, promoting differentiation and Equality and Diversity).
- Promote and model the Code of Conduct and GEMS Core Values.
- Undertake other professional duties as reasonably delegated by Line Manager (LM) such as: teaching, recruitment, detention and other cover, after-school duty, ASP, MOE formalities, covering for LM when absent, inspection preparation, SEF, SDP, etc.
- Promote the school positively with community and GEMS while maintaining complete confidentiality.
- Respect local culture, customs and laws.
- Meet deadlines as requested by LM.
- Lead on the development of teaching and learning focusing on pedagogy, standards and progress.
- Ensure academic excellence in internal and external assessments.
- Lead the professional development programme to ensure high quality learning and assessment.
- Be a part of a thriving Leadership Team focusing on the whole –school environment.
- Promote the school to all stakeholders and the wider community.
- Follow, support and help to develop all of the School’s aims, its vision, improvement plans, policies and practices.
The successful applicant will have the following:
A certified teaching qualification, such as B.Ed, PGCE, PGDE or equivalent.
The desire to provide Outstanding teaching and learning
Aspiration to work in a world class school with real prospects for enhancing their career
At least 2 years of post-qualifying experience
To be considered for this vacancy, please click on the following link and complete the short application.
Interviews will be held in the UK on Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th March 2019