Teaching Assistant: Job Description
Line Management: TAs may receive direction from any of the following people - Senior TA, BCS Class Teachers and the Head of BCS
Purpose of the job
• To work with and support individuals and small groups of students on activities as directed by teachers both within school or the local community.
• To assist in the support and integration of children within BCS classes and other departments of the main school.
Supporting the student
• To actively seek to develop an understanding of the specific needs and targets of the students.
• To establish a supportive relationship with the students.
• To encourage acceptance of the student within the context of integration.
• To develop methods of promoting and reinforcing student’s confidence and self-esteem.
• To promote the independent learning of students as much as possible and diminish adult reliance
• Supervising students at break and lunch times on a rota basis.
Supporting Teachers and other professionals
• To assist the teacher in the development of a suitable programme of education and support for the students either within BCS or other departments.
• To show initiative in preparation of appropriate lesson materials and resources.
• To contribute to annual reviews in writing and attend the meeting if requested.
• Assist mainstream teachers on understanding a pupil’s needs and the appropriate differentiation.
• Assist teachers in the preparation and maintenance of classroom and corridor displays.
Supporting the Department
• To develop and foster a positive relationship between the student’s home and school.
• To liaise, advise and consult with other members of the BCS team, mainstream teachers and outside professionals in support of the students.
• To attend relevant in-service training, BCS team meetings, departmental meetings and whole school staff meetings as required.
• To be aware of and follow BCS and whole school procedures / policies.
The above mentioned duties are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be called upon to carry out such other duties as may be required by the Line Manager that are broadly within the level of the post.