The Upper School includes a Prep phase (Y6 - Y8) and Y9 - Y13. Throughout the Upper School there is a strong emphasis on academic excellence, preparation for top university entrance, leadership and personal development. Language and Learning is a focus at the school with many students speaking English as a second language. An ability to support language learning would be a significant advantage, although specialist support and training is provided to ensure that all staff becomes experts in EAL teaching techniques.
The Mandarin Teacher will support the Head of Department and for the Head of Upper School in maintaining high academic standards within their subject area. To ensure that students are supported in their learning journey through Upper School and set the highest aspirations for their students’ achievement and development, both in the classroom and through the many extra-curricular activities on offer.
The Upper School team aims to deliver a stimulating and challenging curriculum and the most important part of the role is the classroom teaching and associated pastoral care of the students. In addition to this, the School’s emphasis on activities outside the classroom means that an effective and varied contribution to the extra-curricular programme is also required. There is a comprehensive program of enrichment activities and all students and staff are expected to be active members of the community.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in mandarin teaching in international schools or local schools.
- Experience in teaching the Chinese National Curriculum to native Chinese groups
- Successful experience in working with students in the age group you are teaching
- Bachelor’s degree in Chinese Language and Literature and Education or equivalent
- Chinese teacher certificate majored in Mandarin
- Familiarity with Zhongkao and/or Xuekao in the local contexts.
- Experience in teaching IGCSE and A Level Mandarin programmes
- Previous experience in an international school and familiarity with the British education system
Please download the attached job description for a full breakdown of the responsibilities and tasks associated with this role.
Please visit the Harrow Beijing careers portal to complete an online application.
Deadline for submission of applications by 19th May 2021, with first-round interviews taking place via Skype from the week commencing 20th May 2021.
Only those candidates who have been shortlisted will be responded to.
Harrow Beijing is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and those connected to the school to share this commitment.
Harrow International School Beijing
Chaoyang District, Beijing, China
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
School and Community
Harrow Beijing is a vibrant community affiliated to the renowned Harrow School in London and Harrow International Schools in Bangkok, Hong Kong and Shanghai. It offers a British-based international education to students aged from...