A lesson to write descriptive sentences expanding nouns and using effective verbs, nouns and adjectives. It is aimed at children at an age 10/11 level (Year 6 in England and Wales). Extra PowerPoints are also provided to extend/ or revise parenthesis and cumulative/co-ordinate adjectives.
The lesson’s context revolves around a mission to Mars, an encounter with an alien and a hasty escape to return home. On the return journey home, a transmission is received from a mysterious grey planet. We divert to investigate and find ourselves in the middle of an alien firefight.
Five short animations provide pre-lesson preparation (if required) to set up the context. Another two animations then continue the storyline (see the animations here).
A PowerPoint provides structure to the lesson, and support is provided to suggest modelled writing. Activities are differentiated with cloze procedures and sentence starters.
There is a lesson plan which includes:
• suggested links to the Welsh, English, Northern Irish, Republic of Ireland and Australian curriculums;
• notes to provide lesson options and context/storyline information;
• optional pre-lesson preparation;
• starter, main, groups and plenary sections with suggested timings (please change depending on your class);
• sections of the lesson are linked to Blooms taxonomy (see www.teachingalive.co.uk for more info.);
• talk time suggestions;
• PowerPoint presentations to support teaching;
• support for modelled writing;
• differentiated group activities with an extra idea for early finishers;
• consideration of, and reference to, different learning styles; and
• independent activities that are planned to aim to allow the teacher to support or extend an assessment group within the lesson
We aim to provide detailed and thorough planning, so there will be more information, examples and differentiation in the planning than are needed, and changes may need to be made depending on your class.
Team Teaching Alive
P.S.- See page 36 in PP65.9.2Expand for any copyright info.
P.P.S.- PowerPoints and PDFs are read only but there is no problem with any requests for changes (within reason).