Are you a new music teacher or a veteran music teacher looking for some fresh ideas? Want to have a fantastic first day in music? Look no further! This is a tried and true set of lessons that will really hook your kids! Kid will leave that first day saying your class is SUPER FUN! If you can get that reputation, the kids will buy into all the amazing things you teach them in the future! Start your fabulous first day of music now!
- This file is included in the following money saving Back to School Music Lesson Plan Bundle
Included in this File
• Detailed (yet editable) lesson plans for 4-5. State (GA) GPS Standards, National Music Standards, and National Core Arts Standards are marked.
• PowerPoints to guide the lesson for each level.
• Links to any resources needed to complete the lesson. (List below)
• Essential Questions to post in your room.
• Video demonstration of the cup games.
THE PLANS ARE SPECIFICALLY FOR THE MAKING MUSIC VERSION OF “TURN THE BEAT AROUND.” IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO USE A DIFFERENT VERSION YOU WILL NEED TO MODIFY THE DIRECTIONS INCLUDED TO FIT YOUR VERSION
Description of Lessons
- 4th and 5th Grade - Students will go through normal first day procedures (rules, etc.) and then will learn a wonderful cup game routine to the song “Turn the Beat Around.” I use the version found in Making Music, Grade 4. The directions are editable if you choose to use a different version.
These lessons are meant to hook my students from the first day. This is a great first day lesson for the first year teacher or many year veteran teacher! I use the lessons to review things like singing voice, form, tempo, etc. These lessons are designed for my 45 minutes classes but you could modify them for 30 min or hour classes as needed.
This is meant to be a guide for your individual situation. Substitutions for any part of the lesson is acceptable. Additional items you need to teach the lesson directly as written that are NOT included.
- “Turn the Beat Around” from the series Making Music, 4th Grade. Alternatively you can use a version from iTunes (the plans are Editable for your needs)
- Class set of cups (plastic or disposable from the grocery store work).
- Rhythm Sticks (optional)
Thank you to Alfred Publishing for their written permission to use the resource, “Turn the Beat Around” in this publication.
Visit my website to join the Free Resource Library!
Teach music. Love life.