Determining the highest common factor is a significant step in simplifying fractions. This can be difficult when dealing with larger numbers. Students may become frustrated and disengaged at an early stage if this important prerequisite to algebra does not go well.
This lesson package teaches students a simple, trustworthy method to find the answer more quickly than simply guessing. In a few easy steps, they will even be able to find highest common factors of numbers above 100,000.
This package includes a lesson plan, a worksheet, an answer key, and differentiated teaching suggestions.
- What are we learning? (Including a brief review)
- Why is this important?
- What can I do with this in the real world?
- How does it work? (Step by step and fully annotated)
- Why does it work? (Theoretical underpinnings)
- Two “almost complete” answers requiring students to fill in the blanks
- Two questions with the answer started
- Six questions requiring students to go through the entire solution on their own
- Every answer shows the complete process, start to finish
- Unusual cases include additional explanations
- May be printed and/or distributed separately from the questions
Approaches to Teaching
- General thoughts on teaching the concept and resource use
- A section for students who struggle with Maths
- A section for students who excel in Maths
The file is professionally designed using an equation editor for proper formatting. The layout and graphics are visually appealing and deliberately structured to help students succeed. All materials are completely original.