“This is such an excellent resource and well worth the money! It contains an extremely thorough progression chart which includes progression in dimensions; musical skills such as singing or notation; and other musical knowledge including historical knowledge or world music. The individual and class assessment sheets are very useful and easily adaptable to suit your own needs. The brainstorming charts for planning are also very helpful in sparking ideas to help you create a really solid unit of work. Thanks so much for a great resource!” Becca, Primary Music Teacher, TES
This resource will help primary school music co-ordinators and music specialists who are required to plan a whole school music curriculum based on the current (2014) Primary National Curriculum for Music and Early Years Foundation Stage Framework. It is NOT a scheme of work, but a simply-worded (yet comprehensive) overview of what musical learning should take place from Nursery (3s) to Year 6 (11s). Plus there are useful long, medium and short term planning templates, and a music-through-topics brainstorming sheet, all with example content, for you to use.
‘Dimensions of Music’, ‘Musical Skills’ and ‘Other Musical Knowledge’ are broken down into statements which can be used in several ways:
* i) to help you map out and plan ‘what’ should be taught in each year group
* ii) to help you plan an assessment system for your school or class (i.e. most statements can be prefixed with ‘…is not yet able to…’ ‘…is able to…’ ‘…is confidently able to…’ or with ‘I can…’)
* iii) to help you when it comes to writing statements for end of year reports.
This resource is designed to be adaptable for all planning and assessment approaches in schools, and documents are in editable Word or Excel format.
I hope this Toolkit saves you reinventing the ‘music planning wheel’ from scratch. It should, at least, give you a very good start!
Contents of download:
* A whole school music curriculum planning, progression and assessment overview showing detailed progression in musical learning from Nursery to Year 6 (ie. Nursery, Reception, Key Stage 1 & Key Stage 2)
* Individual year group music curriculum planning overviews for Nursery to Year 6
* An example whole school yearly planning overview, on which you can map out your own school’s music curriculum (long term planning)
* 2 x example half-termly plans for a single year group (medium term planning)
* An example weekly music lesson plan, for when you need to outline a single lesson in more detail (short term planning)
* A music-through-topics brainstorming sheet, with completed examples, to help you plot out quality music lessons based on a class topic
* A class observation sheet, for making notes during a music lesson
* An individual child ‘Musical Progress and Achievement Record’ sheet