This is a 5 lesson Literacy unit all about Florence Nightingale. The plan is aimed at year 2 and gives details of the year 2 curriculum objectives covered. The children develop reading comprehension, writing, editing and SPaG skills during the unit.
All five lessons include a SPaG starter which is always linked to Florence Nightingale.
The main activity in lesson 1 is a non-fiction reading comprehension, which helps children to learn about Florence Nightingale. It is laid out in a SATs style format, containing similar questions to a SATs paper and is differentiated 3 ways.
The main activity in lesson 2 is a fictional diary reading comprehension, written from the point of view of Florence Nightingale. Again it is in a SATs style and is again differentiated 3 ways.
Lesson 3 allows children to gather vocabulary through drama and written activities. Lessons 4 and 5 allow children to write and edit their own diary accounts as Florence Nightingale.
All resources are included that will be needed for the lessons. They are in 3 zip files.
The following documents are included:
- A 12 page detailed plan for 5 lessons (PDF);
- A 5 slide PowerPoint presentation with Florence Nightingale themed SPaG starters (This is not editable. Click the ‘Read Only’ button to open.);
- A 7 slide PowerPoint presentation covering Florence’s childhood, early career, work during the Crimean War and ongoing legacy. (This is not editable. Click the ‘Read Only’ button to open.);
- Differentiated Comprehensions about Florence Nightingale. Each of the three levels contains four pages of text followed by questions (PDF);
- Differentiated comprehensions on a diary entry written by Florence Nightingale. Each of the three levels contains four pages of text followed by questions (PDF);
(The presentation and comprehensions are also available separately from my shop: