This is a 4 week unit of planning that supports pupils to write an ancient Greek Quest Myth. The beginning part of this unit is focussed on Persephone by Sally Pomme Clayton and Virginia Lee. This is used as a model and WAGOLL for pupils to write their own story. All children love Greek gods and goddesses and this unit of work has never failed in supporting pupils write some excellent myths that are richly descriptive and engaging for the reader.
I have listed the learning objectives for all of the lessons below. Also I have included all of the worksheets, PowerPoints, links and resources you will need to teach this unit straight away.
Stage 1 = Stimulate & Generate
• To write a review of an ancient Greek myth
• To use a range of strategies to explore a text
• To show understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action when performing a playscripts
• To retrieve and record information from non-fiction
• To describe using adverbial phrases and drop in clauses
• To demonstrate understanding of key details and main points of a text
Stage 2 = Capture, Sift & Sort
• To find the key features of a myth
• To start sentences using verbs, adverbs and connectives
• To write using commas to clarify meaning
• To use an increasing range of sentence starters
• To write in the style of the model text
• To edit writing to improve sentence structures and range of vocabulary
Stage 3 = Create, Refine & Evaluate
• To use expanded noun phrases and figurative language to describe
• To vary sentence structure and type for effect
• To plan a quest myth
• To write a descriptive setting for my myth
• To write a build-up in my myth
• To write a conflict
• To write a resolution to my myth
• To edit and improve my work
Stimulate and generate = This usually starts with a hook to interest the class where the class realise who they are going to write for so they have a clear purpose and audience. Activities can include reading excellent model texts, drama or researching more about the author or the content of the book.
Capture, sift and sort = This is the part of the unit where pupils look at key features, practise skills they will need in order to complete the final piece or new learning for objectives they have not learnt yet.
Create, refine, evaluate = This is where you bring all you have learnt together and plan the final piece