This resource consists of 12 questions based on household finance and best buy options. The questions are aimed at mid to high-ability students in Key Stages 3 and 4.
The concepts covered are:
- Using percentages to calculate special offers
- Value for money
- Using percentage discounts when purchasing rail tickets in advance
- Buy now compared to buying on credit
- Total cost of a holiday when comparing hotels, flights and other costs
- Wages and Salaries comparison
- Extracting information from tables to calculate costs
- Delivery charges based on distance
- Cost of gas and electricity
There is a high degree of literacy in many of the questions, which is ideal in indicating to students the importance of thoroughly reading questions, particularly when considering the new G.C.S.E. 9-1 curriculum. In addition, the questions are an excellent accompaniment to the teaching of personal finance.
All questions contain full worked solutions.