This is an advanced, detailed ready-to-teach unit for the poem “A Leave-Taking” by Algernon Charles Swinburne. The poem is also on the IGCSE English Literature curriculum for exams 2022 (Songs of Ourselves, Volume 2, Part 4: Love, Age, and Wisdom), but the unit can be used independently of the exams, too!
This comprehensive teaching unit includes:
1. Biography and introduction to the poet - Algernon Charles Swinburne
2. Before Reading Activity - Figurative Language Focus: Hyperbole: This activity produces a quick, clear review of the various forms and functions hyperbole can take in poetry, including a distinction between hyperbole in literature, overstatement, and understatement (litotes). Swinburne uses hyperbole extensively in his poem, and therefore this review is crucial to fully appreciate and be able to comment on the poem.
3. The poem text with, line numbers and explanatory notes to facilitate a close-reading, and to explain unusual or difficult vocabulary and concepts. Illustrations and images further help clarify the use of terminology and phrases in the specific context of the poem.
4. Comprehension, close reading, and analysis questions, with a particular focus on close reading and analysis of poetic devices, language, structure, and its effects (useful for iGCSE/A-Level exam prep or to teach the poem at a higher level and in more depth than you’ll find with other materials).
5. Practice IGCSE Exam Paper - This is an IGCSE Paper 1: Poetry & Prose Practice Exam Paper that I created which emulates the real IGCSE Paper 1 exam as closely as possible. Can be used with classes as exam practice, or independently, to emulate a mock exam.
6. Teacher’s Notes, Answers, and Study Guide section, includes model answers for all the comprehension, close reading, and analysis questions, as well as a model response to the practice exam paper/question. Can be used in the classroom or to help students in their independent review and study.
7. Perfect for Distance Learning & Independent Study: As a stand-alone, comprehensive teaching unit with ANSWERS and teaching guide, this is also perfect for DISTANCE LEARNING or homeschool settings.
Feedback is always appreciated!
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.