A set of 15 task cards and exercises on poetry comprehension – The Thought Fox by Ted Hughes.
After working with these worksheets students will be able to:
- Analyse the poem to make a critical appreciation.
- Identify the poetic devices and explain how they are used in the poem.
- Annotate the lines of the poem with reference to context.
This download includes worksheets on:
- Inferring the meaning of the words from the context of the poem (Exercise 1)
- Writing lines that refer to given meanings (Exercise 2)
- Making a critical appreciation of the poem (Exercise 3)
- Answering think a bit questions (Exercise 4)
- Answering poetry elements questions (Exercise 5)
- Identifying the meaning of expressions used in the poem (Exercise 6)
- Identifying and explaining the poetic devices used in the poem (Exercise 7)
- Inferring clues to the characters in the poem (Exercise 8)
- Thinking a bit and answering (Exercise 9)
- Answering poetic devices questions (Exercise 10)
- Summarizing the stanzas of the poem (Exercise 11)
- Identifying annotation elements (Exercise 12)
- Annotating the lines of the poem (Exercise 13)
- Answering comprehension questions (Exercise 14)
- Answering multiple choice questions (Exercise 15)
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment