- This lesson has been designed to look at specific countries which were part of the British Empire.
- Claimed by Captain James Cook in 1768, students study how and why the British used Australia as a penal colony.
- Using a real life example of a young boy sent there for petty crimes, students analyse his and others stories from the start of the voyage through to life in the colony. They track and ultimately decide the worst aspects for the convicts.
- There is lots of video footage to consolidate understanding and the plenary evaluates the conditions and lives led by the convicts
- The lesson comes with suggested teaching and learning strategies and are linked to the latest historical interpretations, video clips and debate. The lessons are fully adaptable in PowerPoint format and can be changed to suit.
- Please visit my shop where I have created further resources on the British Empire including a bundle of lessons which can be found here: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/the-british-empire-11638487
- If you like this resource, please review it and choose any of my resources from my shop worth up to £3 for free: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/PilgrimHistory
About this resource
Report a problem