Gain QTS in 12 weeks with our Assessment Only route
Achieve Qualified Teacher Status with England's largest Assessment Only provider
Become a qualified teacher with our QTS Assessment Only route
If you are an unqualified teacher with a degree and significant teaching experience you can achieve qualified teacher status (QTS*) in as little as one term through our Assessment Only (AO) course. Gaining QTS via this route will allow you to become a qualified teacher without leaving your school and will also demonstrate that your teaching meets the Teachers’ Standards.
This QTS qualification will allow you to take the next step in your career as a teacher and it could help you increase your earning potential by up to £7,000**.
Who is suitable for our Assessment Only route?
Your teaching experience should have occurred in at least two schools and across two consecutive age ranges, giving you the opportunity to gather significant evidence to show that you meet the QTS Teachers’ Standards. Your evidence will show that you are able to actively plan and deliver effective teaching to your chosen subject or age range/phase and demonstrate that you had full responsibility for the classroom.
As England’s largest provider of QTS Assessment Only, Tes Institute can provide Assessment Only to anyone teaching in a school that follows the English national curriculum, both in the UK and overseas. We will assess your teaching by reviewing your portfolio of evidence and observing your teaching at your current school.
Our Assessment Only route to QTS is available in primary schools, special schools, PRUs and all main secondary subjects in state funded, free schools, academies, independent schools and British International Schools overseas.
Gain QTS in one term with Tes Institute
Our assessment process usually takes 12 weeks to complete, approximately one term. Suitable applicants for Assessment Only will already need to have significant teaching experience and meet the following eligibilty criteria:
- Be employed in a school in a teaching role by the time you start the programme
- Have achieved a standard equivalent to grade C or above at GCSE level in English and Mathematics. Those intending to teach pupils aged 3-11 will also need to have achieved a standard equivalent to grade C or above at GCSE level science
- Hold a degree from a UK higher education institution or equivalent qualification
- Have passed the literacy and numeracy professional skills tests
- Have undertaken significant teaching experience in at least two contrasting schools
- Demonstrate that you meet the QTS Standards across the age range of assessment for your chosen teaching specialism
- Be able to show that you have the appropriate intellectual and academic capabilities and personal qualities, attitudes, ethics and values
- Have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in standard English
- Have been subject to and passed the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and criminal records check
- Have completed a Fitness to Work assessment at your school
Get advice on gaining QTS through Assessment Only
To find out more about how you can get QTS through Assessment Only, please complete our 'Get Advice' form and a member of our enrolment team will contact you with more information about how the programme and can help you gain QTS.
*The title of this award is subject to change due to an ongoing government consultation at the time of going to press. If you are planning to teach outside England please discuss the programme, QTS and the required teaching qualification for your particular region, with your employing school or the relevant regulatory body before applying.
**On average, a fully qualified teacher in England earns approximately £6,000-£7,000 more a year than their unqualified counterpart. For full details about qualified and unqualified teacher pay scales, visit www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/salary
Get personalised advice
Complete the form and one of our expert enrolment advisors will contact you shortly.
England's largest provider of Assessment Only
TES Institute has helped hundreds of school staff gain Qualified Teacher Status since 2013 and has grown to become the largest provider of QTS asssement.
As a national provider, we are able to assess your teaching in your school without any further training.