Straight to Teaching Competition: Terms and Conditions
Win a free place on our Straight to Teaching QTS programme
These are the terms and conditions upon which each competition entry to the ‘win a free place’ Straight to Teaching competition shall be subject. If TES Institute, organisers of competition (“we”, “us”, “our”, “promoter” or “TES Institute”), accepts an entrant’s (“you”, “your”, “yourself” or “entrant”) competition entry, you will be bound by these terms and conditions and your competition entry shall be considered and judged in accordance with these terms. We reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time, without prior notice and such changes shall be deemed notified to you by their publication online.
By submitting a Straight to Teaching competition entry form you are confirming that you believe you meet the eligibility criteria for the Straight to Teaching programme (set out below). On submission, you will be entered into our free competition with the chance to win a complimentary place on the Straight to Teaching QTS professional development programme worth up to £9,000. For full details, terms and conditions please see below.
The competition is organised by Hibernia College UK Ltd. (trading as TES Institute), 26 Red Lion Square, London, WC1R 4HQ. TES Institute is the Promoter.
Good luck and thank you for entering.
The competition is open to any individual who meets the Straight to Teaching eligibility criteria and has completed and submitted a Straight to Teaching competition entry form.
Straight to Teaching programme eligibility criteria include, but are not limited to:
- You must have some relevant teaching experience
- You must have the full support of your current school to undertake the course
- Your current school must agree to support you for the duration of the Straight to Teaching programme
- You must be employed in a teaching role or be given teaching responsibilities at the start of the Straight to Teaching programme
- You must hold an undergraduate degree (or equivalent) by the time you are assessed for QTS
- You must have achieved grade C or above at GCSE level or equivalent in English and Mathematics (GCSE Science is also required for primary teaching) or intend to achieve them during your course and before you are assessed for QTS
- Competition entries can be submitted anytime from 23rd January 2017 until 23.59 BST on 24th February 2017. Submissions received outside this time period will not be considered
- TES Institute reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to extend the closing date for submissions for whatever reason
- To take part entrants must tell us why they think they will make a great teacher in 200 words or less
- Entrants must be working in a school in England
- TES Institute will shortlist the 10 best answers and ask those shortlisted to provide details for a senior leader at their school who is willing to provide a supporting statement (word limit: 200 words)
- The shortlisted entrants will also need to submit a full Straight to Teaching application form by 27th March 2017. Submissions received outside this time period will not be considered
- Once we have received all shortlisted entrants supporting statements and applications forms we will select one lucky winner to receive a free place on our Straight to Teaching programme for a start date of their choice (up to an including the January 2018 start date)
- TES Institute accepts no responsibility for submissions that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason
- Competition entries must be submitted via the Straight to Teaching competition website page, www.tes.com/institute/qts-competition
- Submissions must be made in the English language
- The shortlist will be announced on social media via @TES_Institute and www.facebook.com/Institute.TES as well as via an email to all entrants
- TES Institute will contact all shortlisted entries via email at the end of February 2017 with further details on the next stage of the competition
- All shortlisted entries will be required to provide TES Institute with contact details for a Senior Leader within their school who is willing to supply a supporting statement for their entry
- All shortlisted entries will be required to complete and submit a full Straight to Teaching application form before 27th March 2017
- All decisions made by the judging panel (Straight to Teaching Director and Assessment Only Director or, if either the Straight to Teaching Director and/or Assessment Only Director are unable to sit on the panel for any reason, substituted members of TES Institute senior management) and by TES Institute relating to the shortlisting of entrants and the final winner, are final
- Neither TES Institute, nor any member of the judging panel, will enter into any correspondence or discussion with any entrants on any subject
- Neither TES Institute, nor any member of the judging panel, will accept any submissions or representations or appeals with regard to such decisions
- TES Institute reserves at its sole discretion the right to:
- disqualify entries which do not comply with these conditions or for any other reason
- reorganise the competition
- close the competition
- Any canvassing, lobbying or attempted inducement of judges at any time will lead to disqualification
- Judges are bound by a clear agreement which prevents them from revealing the identity of the winner until after the announcement of the competition winner
- If the winner of the competition is unable to take up the prize for any reason, or if TES Institute has not been able, after making reasonable efforts, to make contact with the winner, TES Institute reserve the right to award that prize (without notice to the first winner chosen) to an alternative winner, in which case the first winner chosen shall not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever. TES Institute shall not have any liability in such eventuality.
- TES Institute reserve the right to publish the name of the winner and the winner is required to give their full co-operation to all requests by TES Institute in connection with publicity for the competition, their entry, the prize or otherwise, including, but not limited to, all requests for support in promotional and marketing activity by supplying quotes, testimonials, a Straight to Teaching programme diary and/or video diary and participating in any photo shoots or filming, at the time of the announcement of the winning entry and also throughout their Straight to Teaching programme, which could be used in promotional and marketing activity by TES Institute.
- TES Institute shall have the following rights over all entries including the winning entry:
- Photographic, audio or video recordings may be used for the following purposes for any lawful purpose, including for example such purposes as publicity, illustration, advertising, and internet content. Taking part in this competition I understand this permission signifies that photographic or video recordings may be electronically displayed via the Internet, in marketing materials or in the public educational setting.
- The exclusive right to use all entries including the winner’s entry in any TES Institute promotional and marketing activity with or without the entrants full name.
Monday 23rd January 2017
- Competition open to all individuals who meet the Straight to Teaching entry and eligibility criteria and have submitted a completed Straight to Teaching competition entry form
Friday 24th February 2017
- Competition closes
Friday 24th February – 9th March 2017
- Judging sessions
Friday 10th March 2017
- Shortlist announced via social media and email
Friday 10th March – 27th March 2017
- Shortlisted entries are requested to provide contact details for a senior leader at their school who can provide a supporting statement for their entry
- Shortlisted entries must complete and submit their Straight to Teaching application form, including copies of their educational certificates, school letter of support and the competition code, S2TComp. Entrants must include the competition entry code in the discount field on the application form
Thursday 30th March 2017
- Winner announced via social media and email
Limitations and disclaimer
- The award of QTS is subject to being able to meet the DfE Assessment Only criteria and The Teachers’ Standards
- In the event of any dispute regarding the rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to this competition, the decision of the Promoter shall be final
- By completing and submitting a competition entry form, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete
- The competition cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer
- The Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of the entry
- The Promoter reserves the right to cancel the competition or any part of the competition at any time without prior warning
- There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable
- Entry to this competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions
- Other than for death or personal injury arising from negligence of the Promoter, so far as is permitted by law, the Promoter hereby excludes all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense, whether direct or indirect, howsoever caused in connection with the Promotion or any aspect of the Prize. All activities are undertaken at the entrants own risk. Your legal rights as a consumer are not affected.
THE PROMOTER RESERVES THE RIGHT IN ITS ABSOLUTE DISCRETION: ( A) TO DISQUALIFY ANY CLAIMANT, COMPETITOR OR NOMINEE WHOSE CONDUCT IS CONTRARY TO THE SPIRIT OF THE RULES OR THE INTENTION OF THE PROMOTION AND TO DECLARE AS VOID ANY OR ALL OF THEIR CLAIMS OR ENTRIES BASED ON SUCH CONDUCT; (B) TO DECLARE AS VOID ANY CLAIMS OR ENTRIES RESULTING FROM ANY PRINTING, PRODUCTION AND/OR DISTRIBUTION ERRORS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY ERROR(S) ON THIS WEBSITE, AND/OR OTHER PRINTED MATERIALS) OR WHERE THERE HAS BEEN ERROR(S) IN ANY ASPECT OF THE PREPARATION FOR OR CONDUCT OF THE PROMOTION MATERIALLY AFFECTING THE RESULT OF THE PROMOTION OR THE NUMBER OF CLAIMANTS OR THE VALUE OF CLAIMS; (C) TO ADD TO OR TO WAIVE ANY RULES ON REASONABLE NOTICE; AND/OR (D) TO CANCEL THE PROMOTION OR ANY PART OF IT AT ANY STAGE IN THE EVENT OF CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND ITS REASONABLE CONTROL ONLY WHERE CIRCUMSTANCES MAKE THIS UNAVOIDABLE.
Promoter: Hibernia College UK ltd. (trading as TES Institute), 26 Red Lion Square, London. WC1R 4HQ, United Kingdom.
Correct at time of issue: 23.01.17