Aston University Engineering Academy
Birmingham, United Kingdom
About Aston University Engineering Academy
As one of the first University-sponsored Technical Colleges in the country, Aston University Engineering Academy (AUEA) and our sixth form Aston University Sixth Form combines the very best education for academic and technical skills focused on industry needs. Our outstanding work was recently highlighted in our Ofsted report
Since opening in September 2012, AUEA has grown under consistant strong leadership into a vibrant learning community, oversubscribed by students from across Birmingham.
Aston University Engineering Academy (Years 9, 10 and 11) and Aston University Sixth Form (Years 12, 13 and 14) are both housed in our £16.2 million state of the art building located in the heart of the city of Birmingham, next to the Aston University and Innovation Birmingham campuses, with a new £5 million extension opening in Spring 2023.
Originally designed for 600 students. AUEA has 700 students on roll and has now been approved to expand to 800 students by 2023. We have a close-knit family of around 40 teachers, and 40 support staff, including administration staff, dedicated TAs, College leaders (Pastoral) and technicians.
Commitment to your development
Our staff ethos is built upon collaboration and development with AUEA being awarded the prestigious Silver mark for outstanding quality and culture of professional Development by the Teacher Development Trust evidencing our commitment to your CPL including weekly early closure for CPL and training, commitment to courses and additional professional qualifications. This is supported by additional learning opportunities via our sponsor Aston University.
Every Monday afternoon students finish earlier to allow dedicated Staff CPL as well as external courses and training. We are proud to have a proven record of accelerating careers, with many of our staff securing; leadership, middle leader and wider responsibilities earlier than the majority of schools. Consequently AUEA provides an outstanding platform from which to start and progress your career.
As a valued member of AUEA we will offer a Staff Benefits, training and Health Care Package
- Excellent professional development opportunities including potential options for higher study through our sponsor Aston University.
- Specialist Subject training from leading industry partners.
- Health Care Package
- Staff Benefits through the Aston University Staff benefits scheme including
- Term time family day and TOIL options
- Reduced staff membership to Aston University’s Gym and Leisure facilities
- Access to Aston University’s nursery scheme
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Free Audiology, eye tests and health clinics via Aston University
- Hospitality and hotel accommodation discounts
- Sports coaching, Outdoor education qualifications, and Military training as part of our Armed Forces Partnerships including CCF.
- Opportunities for international travel as part of our Austrian technical school (HTL) European partnership, Scientific Expeditions and Charity work.
- A close knit, friendly and supportive working environment
- Excellent IT and learning resources
Expectations of all are high in the school. Students rise to these high expectations in their studies and their conduct. Students are mature and well behaved. Disruption to learning is rare. The school's work to promote students personal development is exemplary. It develops strong employability skills in students.- Ofsted 2022
My child achieving in such short period of time what he didn't achieve in previous years. I am absolutely impressed with his progress and I thank all the staff involved- Year 10 Parent,
AUEA was one of just 4 schools nationally where Employer /enterprise engagement is embedded and central to meeting students and local skills needs- Ofsted, 2017
At Aston University Engineering Academy (a UTC), subject experts from local businesses teach elements of the technical and vocational courses. These experts are able to raise the pupils’ awareness of problems and solutions from the business world to provide a real focus for pupils’ learning.- Ofsted, 2017
AUEA students show maturity, vision and technical knowledge beyond anywhere else I have worked with student projects- @Avatar3D, Revathi Timms CEO