Heckmondwike Grammar School
Kirklees, United Kingdom
About Heckmondwike Grammar School
Heckmondwike Grammar School is a unique school, with students who are eager to learn, keen to know more and want to enjoy their educational experiences. It is exceptional in many ways: a very diverse school community that produces results of the highest quality. We work effectively with the young people, really care about them and their futures and have an ultimate success measure of enabling them to proceed to where they want to go. Excellent relationships between staff and students are the norm, expectations are high and students perform very well as a consequence.
Misbehaviour is rare; and excellent relationships between staff and students are the norm: teachers are able to ‘get on and teach’. Working here is still challenging, however, but in different ways: expectations are high and potential applicants will need to be able to operate effectively in a top performing environment. However, one of the principal joys of working at this school is our eloquent and motivated students. Consequently, outcomes are amongst the very best in the country, and this is the result of able cohorts being provided with high quality teaching that is supported by strong pastoral care for each student. The school is justifiably proud of the focus on academic attainment and knowledge of each individual that enables education to be tailored to every student’s needs; but also prioritises the support it provides to enable any barriers to progress to be addressed. The focus is and will always remain teaching and learning in the classroom, with staff training and development being the main means of achieving this end.Our Ethos, Values and Aims Ethos
At Heckmondwike Grammar School our ethos for the whole school community is based on the school motto “Nil Sine Labore” – Nothing Without Work. We expect a lot from our students and staff and recognise that hard work brings rewards.Values
The principal values of our school community are:
Heckmondwike Grammar School has provided the best education for able students since 1898. As we embrace the opportunities and challenges of the 21st century, we will continue to uphold the traditions, values and high expectations of an exceptional grammar school within an innovative, creative and progressive framework.
At Heckmondwike Grammar School, we work together as a team to achieve academic excellence and personal potential by:
· Providing students and staff with every opportunity to flourish and develop their skills and talents as individuals.
· Providing academic rigour and nurturing ambition and aspiration in our students, such that they become the leaders of the future in high calibre careers, via top university education or direct employment.
· Celebrating diversity, by creating a vibrant, safe and happy school, with a strong sense of community, respect and responsibility to both ourselves and others.
· Challenging and stimulating the minds of our students through excellent teaching, diverse learning opportunities, and a rich, balanced, academic curriculum, such that students develop a life-long love of learning
· Working hard and playing hard via an extensive extra-curricular programme based on the House system that enriches and extends the curriculum, encouraging students to explore and develop their personal interests and skills.
· Working in close partnership with parents and members of the wider community to provide the best possible education for our students.
The school is very popular and heavily oversubscribed, with well over 800 students applying for entry into Year 7 each year- and a similar number applying to join the sixth form. This has led to an increase in provision over the last three years as the school has expanded from 150 students in Year 7 to, this coming year, 210. Accompanied by one of the largest comprehensive sixth forms in the country of approximately 500, this provides great opportunities for staff to practise their craft to the highest level while also gaining a wide experience of teaching different year groups and courses. The sixth form includes an equal number of students who join us from other local schools, and consequently collaboration is very important to us. We work in partnership with an extensive group of schools and have a significant reputation both locally and nationally. This means we offer our staff opportunities to be involved in professional development on a larger scale and see it as a sign of our high quality when members of our community are promoted to posts elsewhere, or progress internally. As a result, all staff feel very privileged to work here and to work with our young people.
Further information about the school including main school and sixth form prospectus may be found on the school website at www.heckgrammar.co.uk