Essex, United Kingdom
About Maltings Academy
Welcome to the exciting opportunities offered by working at Maltings Academy.
**Please scroll to the bottom of this page to view our live vacancies**
I am delighted you are interested in joining my staff team, a highly ambitious, aspirational group of professionals who are raising standards and significantly improving the life chances of the young people of Witham.
Maltings is a very special learning community, filled with talented and creative staff, all of whom share my vision for excellence in teaching and learning. The last 5 years have seen a positive transformation in every aspect of our work and Ofsted confirmed us an ’Outstanding Academy’ in every category in 2015.
With rapidly rising results, tailored career paths and opportunities to share best practice with our sister academy (New Rickstones Academy), this is exactly the right time to join the team! As a designated National support school we are fortunate to be able share our successes and learnings with other schools (as well as across our Trust).
It is a privilege to lead Maltings. I am passionate about my students and my staff. There is a shared sense of purpose and a vision for success which inspires me on a daily basis. If you are appointed, you will belong to a truly aspirational body of professionals who really care about our young people.
I encourage you to arrange a visit, which will allow you the opportunity to quickly recognise the special nature of Maltings, our sense of purpose and our ambitious drive for success.
With kindest regards
Emma Baker | Headteacher
Welcome to Maltings Academy where our aim is ‘to inspire young people to make their best better’.
We are proud to be a National Support School in Witham and we are:
- Rated an ‘Outstanding’ school in every area by Ofsted (March 2015).
- A National Leader Academy working with others schools to help them improve
- Above national average in English, Maths, Science, Music, Art, French and Photography
- A keen player in the Essex Excellence Teaching Partnership
- A partnership with our sister Academy – New Rickstones Academy .
- A leading school in our trust, Academies Enterprise Trust
- Award winning staff - Headteacher Emma Baker won “Essex Headteacher of the Year” in 2017 and several staff have won various teaching awards including the governing body
- Accelerated Reader Champion School
We are an academy where the behaviour is outstanding and students try their very best in an environment where staff care for them.
Career Progression Pathways at Maltings Academy
We believe in growing the very best teachers and leaders through:
- An outstanding ‘Teaching school standard’ professional development programme for staff at all stages of their career.
- A ‘3 in 3 years’ leadership development programme for all interested high-quality staff. This promises staff a TLR responsibility, bursary support and mini-secondment at a partner AET Academy to grow our future leaders.
- Opportunities for continued leadership development during every year of your career.
A career progression pathway for a new member of staff joining Maltings Academy as an NQT or as an experienced member of staff may involve:
- Partnership with a lead teacher in your department – for weekly mentor meetings with NQTs and peer coaching with more experienced staff adapting to their new school
- Comprehensive CPD programme – with initially weekly events to accelerate progress during your first term in your new school and a continuing programme of bespoke opportunities throughout the year
- ‘Leadership at all Levels’ opportunity to lead on a subject specific focus e.g. as departmental Literacy Champion, Special Education Needs link, Numeracy Champion…
Years 2 & 3 – Where the progress the teacher is achieving from students is good to outstanding.
- Opportunity to take on increased leadership responsibility within your subject area e.g. a project focusing on improving impact upon a specific student cohort (for a number of successful teachers a first TLR may have been secured by this point)
- Invite to participate in one of our Academy wide CPD programmes such as our Leading Outstanding Learning cross-school CPD experience
- Invite to apply for one of our ‘Stepping up to Senior Leadership’ year-long secondments to lead an Academy wide development priority
- Opportunity to join a career development programme with one of our Academy partners e.g. a collaboration across our AET regional network or a Future Leaders programme
- Invite to engage in a short term secondment (ranging from upwards of one day) at an AET regional partner school or our sister Academy at any phase to broaden your leadership experiences
- Opportunity to apply to become a Specialist Leader in Education within AET or LA partnership.
Our specialisms of Sport & Science are designed to raise the aspirations of all our students and to target the wider community. We believe that the positive influence of physical activity and the investigative qualities of science will be a powerful force for school improvement that will help young people in the academy develop life-time habits and skills.
Students have access to first class sports facilities, coaching and training to participate in sports at a level best suited to their interests and abilities. We build on successes, encouraging and supporting our young people to try new activities, develop their talents and enjoy both the social benefits and competitive successes that participation in sport can offer. Students have a minimum of two hours of a physical education per week, which incorporates health and fitness as a key aspect of the curriculum. This is reinforced with an encompassing extra-curricular programme of both recreational and competitive sport.
Our Science specialism aims to create a challenging environment to raise standards of achievement and the quality of teaching and learning in science for all students, leading to whole school improvements in performance. We provide excellent facilities across the full range of science subjects. Staff actively encourage students to discover and enjoy the rewards of scientific discovery through inventive strategies, developing deeper understanding. We encourage students to pursue science beyond the age of 16, providing appropriate learning pathways so they develop the skills needed to progress into employment, further training or higher education
In September 2011, we moved into a £25m new building. Our state of the art building offers fantastic facilities, and we have a busy external lettings calendar. We have maintained a five star rating in the Five Star Occupational Health & Safety Audit and a 3 star BREEAM sustainable buildings award.
We are proud to be part of Academies Enterprise Trust.
We are a national network of over 60 primary, special and secondary academies. We are passionately committed to inspiring children and young people.
We’ve undergone considerable change over the last two years. Bar the name above the door, everything about AET has changed: our leadership; our governance; our financial controls; our school improvement and our curriculum support.
AET is well on its way to becoming something rather wonderful – we are a family of schools that is dedicated to education that paves the way for our young people go on to lead remarkable lives. And it’s our people who are making that a living and breathing reality in our academies.
Each and every child inspired to choose a Remarkable Life.
To gather and motivate inspirational people committed to delivering an excellent education that launches children into remarkable lives.
BE UNUSUALLY BRAVE
At AET, we choose to be unusually brave. We're not afraid to challenge wrongs, to make the right call, even when it's both unusual and difficult to do so.
DISCOVER WHAT'S POSSIBLE
We are on the search for discovering what's possible. We look to create 'eureka moments' for our students, helping them discover a world of possibilities and opportunities.
PUSH THE LIMITS
We always strive to push the limits. We don't settle for less than excellent and we won't allow our students to either. We resolve to overcome any self-imposed limits.
We commit to being big-hearted. We choose to treat each other with kindness, warmth and care, believing that everybody matters and believing in one another.
AET is also an approved Apprenticeship Training Provider (through the ESFA) which allows us to deliver a wide range of apprenticeship programmes across the Trust and our school network. To find out more about what we offer click here.
We also offer School Direct teacher training programmes across our network. For more information please click here.
To find out more about about AET please visit us at https://sites.google.com/aetinet.org/academies-enterprise-trust/home
I joined the Academy in 2006 as a trainee teacher. In 2009 I become Head of Business showing the speed of progression available at the Academy for the right candidates. I worked as Head of Business until 2015 when I left the academy to further my career as a Deputy Head of Faculty. During my first spell at Maltings I was able to develop many skills and complete training course which allowed me to gain my promotion. In 2017 I returned as a Head of Year. This was a wonderful opportunity for me and I was very excited to return to a team with such a family feel. I am encouraged to develop new skills and a growth mindset to help further my career in education. I am loving being back in a friendly, familiar environment, with a supportive team and staff around to help. My new role provides me with the challenge I am looking for as I take another step towards my career goals and ambitions.- Paul Ambrose - Head of Year (Teacher of Business)
I started at Maltings Academy in 2012 as an English Instructor and the following year I successfully completed the School Direct program. I was subsequently appointed as an NQT where I was given the opportunity to develop as Head of Key Stage Three. In 2015 I was appointed Second in English which allowed me to progress as a Middle Leader, with the school investing in me further by granting me access to a Middle Leadership course to help with this. Keen to further my passion for teaching and learning, I started my current role of Lead Practitioner in September 2017. Maltings Academy has been a great place for my career to grow with a great network of support, no matter the level you are at in your career.- Georgina Flack - Lead Practitioner (English)