Southend Adult Community College
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
About Southend Adult Community College
Southend Adult Community College (SACC) are Southend Borough Council’s provider of adult education and provides education and training to more than 5,000 learners.
What we offer
We provide part-time leisure courses, English, maths, employability courses, vocational qualifications and industry specific training for adults and for young people (16+) apprenticeships and full-time vocational programmes.
In addition, we provide community outreach provision and family learning in local community venues and employee training and assessment on employer premises.
We have three activity centres, our main Southchurch Centre, an adult centre at Belfairs Academy in Leigh and a specialist centre for young adults with complex and profound learning difficulties and disabilities in Westcliff.
What Ofsted have to say about SACC
At our last Ofsted inspection SACC was judged for the second time as a good college with outstanding features. Key findings are:
- success rates have improved over the last few years and many are well above national rates
- learners develop good practical, vocational and employability skills. They make good progress in developing these skills
- learners on study programmes do well. The college has made a significant contribution to reducing the number of young people in the borough who are not in education, employment or training (NEET)
- staff are particularly effective at finding good work placements for learners on employability programmes. These placements relate directly to learners’ aims and provide good workplace experience
- teachers use their professional skills and knowledge well to help learners relate their studies to the world of work and gain employment or promotion
- staff, at all levels, create good partnerships with a range of agencies. They use these partnerships well to help learners develop a range of useful skills
- leaders work well to create, and monitor the effectiveness of a curriculum that meets the needs of learners and the local community.
Southend Adult Community college welcomes applications regardless of gender, disability, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation or faith. The college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment and that students and staff can study and work in an environment free from harassment and bullying.
Southend Adult Community College aims to achieve curriculum excellence by promoting consistently high standards of teaching, learning and assessment across all provision. We expect all academic staff to take Personal Responsibility In Delivering Excellence (PRIDE).